Insulating components around CPU die

Hi,

i am planning to apply liquid metal thermal paste to my dell g7 7790, just saw Linus’ video about how to apply and saw him applying a non-conductive layer and tape on small components around the CPU die. I just wonder what if there are any drawbacks of doing so?

thanks

8 minutes ago, spysoaa said:

Hi,

i am planning to apply liquid metal thermal paste to my dell g7 7790, just saw Linus’ video about how to apply and saw him applying a non-conductive layer and tape on small components around the CPU die. I just wonder what if there are any drawbacks of doing so?

thanks

Tape is good but if the adhesion of the tape isn't sealed around the edge isn't complete or it fails overtime liquid metal can wick it's way under. I personally recommend to apply a coating, either getting a proper conformal coating for even just using clear acrylic nail polish is acceptable. 

An idea is to use some thing like thumb putty around the die area to create a seal, how ever I have yet to have liquid metal fail on me in terms of leakage, even in laptops. Be carefull.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.