Have I bought the right modem?

Strayan_Hades
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
7 hours ago, Strayan_Hades said:

So have I bought just a Router that doesn't work with my current installed connection?

The thing you bought is an LTE Router. Meaning it was designed to connect to cellular data services vs DSL. Well technically it does have a Ethernet WAN port, meaning it can be used as a standard router. You need a router with a built in DSL modem and you need to make sure that it supports the DSL standard your ISP uses for example aDSL, aDSL2, VDSL, VDSL2, etc. 

Hi,

Just recieved a new modem today and cant seem to get my the internet to work on it. Its the Asus 4G-AC1900 LTE Modem router. 

Ive got it directly connected to my DSL port into the wan but still no internet connection.

Ive also just tried to my old Huawei HG659 again it connects to the internet fine.

Im starting wonder if I have bought the wrong modem.

Any help on this would be great.

ISPs generally whitelist the MAC address of the hardware on their network. If you switch out the modem, you generally have to give them a call and let them add the new device before it will work.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

One is a VDSL getaway/router combo other one is a router, you are aware of that right?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

One is a VDSL getaway/router combo other one is a router, you are aware of that right?

nope, what's that mean? I'm a newbie when it comes to networking.

Just now, Strayan_Hades said:

nope, what's that mean? I'm a newbie when it comes to networking.

VDSL is usually provided by a DSL line (which uses RJ11 connector and physically smaller than RJ45) in my part of the world. If your connection is provided via RJ45, check your new router web UI. My last asus modem had a great setup wizard in its web UI.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

7 minutes ago, Levent said:

VDSL is usually provided by a DSL line (which uses RJ11 connector and physically smaller than RJ45) in my part of the world. If your connection is provided via RJ45, check your new router web UI. My last asus modem had a great setup wizard in its web UI.

Ill have a look now. I do know my original Modem ( Huawei HG659) was using a smaller DSL cable compared to the provided ethernet i got with my new Asus 4g ac68u LTE.  An my internet is callled NBN in Australia.

So have I bought just a Router that doesn't work with my current installed connection?

7 hours ago, Strayan_Hades said:

The thing you bought is an LTE Router. Meaning it was designed to connect to cellular data services vs DSL. Well technically it does have a Ethernet WAN port, meaning it can be used as a standard router. You need a router with a built in DSL modem and you need to make sure that it supports the DSL standard your ISP uses for example aDSL, aDSL2, VDSL, VDSL2, etc. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.