m2 NVME on z170 PRO GAMING

Okiraishi

I wanted to buy SSD and the one I chose is 'SSD ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe' but I was having a problem with knowing if my board "ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING" could run it at full speed. Any ideas?

Looks to be a match - I just checked the 'board manual and the XPG page for the drive & the m.2 'keying' seems to be the same.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Does it matter if i see on the site 5 pins
gnIJNOV.png
and on my board 4 pins?(bad  quality because I zoomed in 8x)

EMT2qcI.jpg

• 6 months later...

Didn't work for me. Need to send it back, probably wont get full refund. Need to make these things clear and understandable before purchase. It was recognised in boot menu but not in Windows Explorer, Disk Management etc. Read a bit about it on Adata website and they were talking about bus lanes. Its classed as a Gen 3x4 NVMe compatible  M.2 device, what else should you have to know really, I didn't go that deep in to my internals counting lanes, sorry my bag. There was various advice in forums such as it didn't work with windows 8 which doesn't have drivers, or to go into the bios under the "advanced" tab, and set some feature to manual and select "m.2" . This actually disables some sata ports, so not only was my m.2 drive not showing, but one of my standard sata ssd's disappeared also. Also I got this PC second hand and it came with no support stand off or screw to attach it. I got those from ebay for £3 though. Well hopefully someone reads this and I save them some time, effort and hair.