G610 Orion Brown Alternative

Fingolfin

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a new keyboard, I don't really follow keyboards development so I could use some help.

I will be doing 50/50 gaming and development/office work so here is what I am looking for:

• Tactile, not clicky (so I guess Brown or equivalent)

• Full length keyboard

• I don't care for RGB (don't mind it either) but I do want back-lighting minimally

• I don't want to spend 300$ for a keyboard, I'd say my max would be around 150$ with some margin

• Media keys is a bonus but not a must have

• I would rather have a clean/professional look but again not a must have

I looked around, read/watched a few reviews and ended up leaning toward a G610 Brown, it seemed to tick all the right boxes. But I can't seem to find any in Canada, the only one I find are with Reds or cannot be ordered online (like on canadacomputer).

So before I go looking further (like ebay /shudder), I wanted to know if someone with more experience than me would have any suggestion for an alternative or if the G610 really is the best keyboard for me.

I posted the same thing on reddit and someone mentioned the gmmk, looks like a good fit but might be a bit expensive with shipping/import duties. 

Thanks!

Yeah, that's definitely an option I'm looking at. Unfortunately with shipping and import duties it's getting around 200$ CND. It's about as high as I'm willing to go but still within my budget, so I'm looking into it. I can also grab a bare-bone kit from amazon.ca or newegg.ca for around 120$ CND but I haven't managed to find 120 switches/keycaps at a reasonable price.

1 hour ago, Fingolfin said:

I will be doing 50/50 gaming and development/office work so here is what I am looking for:

• Tactile, not clicky (so I guess Brown or equivalent)

• Full length keyboard

• I don't care for RGB (don't mind it either) but I do want back-lighting minimally

• I don't want to spend 300$ for a keyboard, I'd say my max would be around 150$ with some margin

• Media keys is a bonus but not a must have

• I would rather have a clean/professional look but again not a must have

Hey there. How would you feel about the MK Night Typist? Currently $99.00 (USD) on Mechanical Keyboards, if you pick Cherry MX Brown switches (Note: Pre-orders only, restocks on Aug 1st).

Spoiler

large_MKNightTypist_12.jpg

Full-Sized, Top-Right: Media Controls

large_MKNightTypist_13.jpg

White Backlit Keys/Legends

• Tactile: Cherry MX Brown. Also comes in Cherry MX Blue (Clicky), Cherry MX Silent Red (Linear), or Kailh BOX White (Linear) switches.
  • Full-Sized Keyboard: 108 Keys.
  • Backlit: White LEDs with adjustable brightness. Double-shot PBT keycaps with transparent legends. Pretty, functional, and durable.
  • Budget: $99.00 for Cherry MX Brown/Blue switches. $104.00 for Cherry MX Silent Red/Kailh BOX White switches.
  • Media Keys: Four dedicated media keys. Keyboard layer is also programmable.
  • Aesthetics: Unoffensive, black-and-white, professional(?) appearance.

Not as many bells and whistles as the Logitech Orion G610, but if you were to ask me, I far better prefer the Night Typist's double-shot PBT keycaps (vs. Logitech's laser-engraved ABS keycaps -- er, an assumption based on observation) and clean, no-nonsense aesthetics. Also, its parts or compatible alternatives are considerably easier to shop for, if something borks. Switches are a bit meh, but I guess you could always swap them out on the Night Typist if you don't like 'em. Not sure if you can do the same with the G610.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

2 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there. How would you feel about the MK Night Typist? Currently $99.00 (USD) on Mechanical Keyboards, if you pick Cherry MX Brown switches (Note: Pre-orders only, restocks on Aug 1st).

Really interesting keyboard, definitely fits what I am looking for. Unfortunately I get a bit shafted by being in Canada again, 36$ shipping and most likely 15-20$ import duties. It ends up being another 200$ CND keyboard. But it is listed on amazon (unavailable), when it's back in stock in august it might also be available on amazon which might reduce the shipping cost.

Great suggestion!

prices are in canadian $$$

durgod taurus full size with cherry mx brown in retro look is within your price range, has brown switches, no rgb tho but there's some variant with rgb but right now the price is kinda crazy.  That one is the only one at the same price point than before covid. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Clavier-mécanique-commutateurs-Interface-anti-fantôme/dp/B07N19RCKQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=durgod&qid=1593904949&sr=8-2&th=1

The corona here has white back-lighting but cost more.

https://www.amazon.ca/Clavier-mécanique-commutateurs-Interface-anti-fantôme/dp/B07YQSZMXW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=durgod&qid=1593904949&sr=8-2&th=1

GMMK base on new egg ... but with that you have to find the keycaps and switches (found mine on ebay for cheap) ... make the whole keyboard closer to 200$ and you have to wait about 2 months for the ebay stuff to arrives.  The gmmk base will probably arrive within 2 days like mine did.   I put the switches I have and some random pbt keycaps that I thought were nice even tho they are not see through.  Sad that I don't like the oem profile cause I would get them.  I really think it's worth it investing some more money into a hotswapable base at some point, it allows you to try different kind of switches.  I thought I liked tactile but after trying some gateron yellow which are linear I think I prefer them to the tactile speed copper I have.  

https://www.newegg.ca/black-glorious-gmmk-full-size-bare-bones-no-switches-included/p/N82E16823634003?Description=gmmk&cm_re=gmmk-_-23-634-003-_-Product

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kailh-Speed-Gold-Silver-Copper-Bronze-PINK-Pro-Purple-MX-SMD-3-Pin-RGB-Switches/184264007444?var=691968405617&hash=item2ae6fd9f14:g:9JcAAOSwlcZeoQcs

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Five-sides-Dye-subbed-PBT-Keycap-108-Keys-OEM-Profile-Keycaps-For-MX-Switches/174244370545?hash=item2891c61871:g:E4gAAOSwkqBekvPQ

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD