Paste in am4 socket help

Cupar19

So I just got my new motherboard and a 3700x and the system didn't post. So I removed the cooler and there was paste seeping out everywhere. I cleaned the cpu and removed it but there is paste on the edge of the socket and in some of the holes as well as on some CPU pins. I've seen some people say to use isopropyl alcohol but I dont have that and I cant really get any at the moment. All I have is arcticlean 1 and 2 thermal compound remover but idk if that's safe to use on the socket. What should I do?

Just now, chen57 said:

do you have a dish washer ?

I cant tell if that's a joke or not but no I don't 

I used toothpicks and patience.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, chen57 said:

i dont know if i would try it

Dont have a dishwasher anyway

1 minute ago, nick name said:

I used toothpicks and patience.  

Ok and what about the paste on the cpu?

26 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

Ok and what about the paste on the cpu?

Try the toothpicks to scrape it off the pins and then I'd also try a paper towel.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

Try the toothpicks to scrape it off the pins and then I'd also try a paper towel.  

So I dont see any on the actual pins anymore but there is definitely some between pins and I dont think my toothpick can go between them that easily 

9 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

So I dont see any on the actual pins anymore but there is definitely some between pins and I dont think my toothpick can go between them that easily 

If the paste isn't conductive I wouldn't worry about that.  

But there are several different contact cleaners / electronic cleaners you can buy.    

11 minutes ago, nick name said:

If the paste isn't conductive I wouldn't worry about that.  

But there are several different contact cleaners / electronic cleaners you can buy.    

Hmm I dont think mx2 is ok conductive so I might try in again and see what happens 

10 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

Hmm I dont think mx2 is ok conductive so I might try in again and see what happens 

Fuck nothing. Board had power but no fans spin and nothing turns on

Well I cant see anything in the socket or on the cpu anymore so unless someone has any other ideas I'm just going to go cry in a corner about how I just wasted £400

MX-2 isn't electrically conductive. I doubt you killed anything.

Are you sure all power is plugged in and seated correctly? CPU is seated correctly? No bent pins? Memory in completely? I recently thought I broke something but I just didn't have the GPU power plugged in completely.

Could have a bad new component as well.

2 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

MX-2 isn't electrically conductive. I doubt you killed anything.

Are you sure all power is plugged in and seated correctly? CPU is seated correctly? No bent pins? Memory in completely? I recently thought I broke something but I just didn't have the GPU power plugged in completely.

Could have a bad new component as well.

Everything 100% plugged in I'm just confused as fuck with these ez debug leds. No cpu lights up the cpu debug led. My cpu causes no post and no led light up

Do you have another am4 CPU you can test? Might need to rma the CPU.

52 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

Everything 100% plugged in I'm just confused as fuck with these ez debug leds. No cpu lights up the cpu debug led. My cpu causes no post and no led light up

1 minute ago, Demonic Donut said:

Do you have another am4 CPU you can test? Might need to rma the CPU.

No spare board or cpu and goodluck rmaing something from ebay. (It was new but just bought from an ebay seller)

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

No spare board or cpu and goodluck rmaing something from ebay. (It was new but just bought from an ebay seller)

If it's new the seller might let you return it. Hard to say what their policy is. That's the risk of eBay.

5 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

If it's new the seller might let you return it. Hard to say what their policy is. That's the risk of eBay.

Yep it is, doubt they will accept a return as it wasnt a business it was just a guy

• 10 months later...
On 7/4/2020 at 3:53 PM, Cupar19 said:

So I just got my new motherboard and a 3700x and the system didn't post. So I removed the cooler and there was paste seeping out everywhere. I cleaned the cpu and removed it but there is paste on the edge of the socket and in some of the holes as well as on some CPU pins. I've seen some people say to use isopropyl alcohol but I dont have that and I cant really get any at the moment. All I have is arcticlean 1 and 2 thermal compound remover but idk if that's safe to use on the socket. What should I do?

i have the same problem i had on the pins also thermal paste and also on the socket i have not touched the pins but i did go over the socket with a dry cloth and then it was guessing if it worked and when i pressed the power button nothing happened for 20 seconds my fans went from high rpm to low rpm and then high again. my gpu fan was running and almost after 30 seconds nothing happened and then I booted into windows before I touched anything from my cpu or motherboard, I first looked for my warranty and whether this was covered but luckily it was
it just had to hope it worked