Info on Australian cyber laws

Go to solution Solved by Statik,

This seems to have a fairly decent overarching idea of it.

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/cybersecurity-laws-and-regulations/australia

Hi all,

I am interested in finding what the laws are on Australian cyber crime as I wish to in the future end up in the cyber area but i can't seem to find any good resources, Anyone got any suggestion?

Thanks, Scarlett

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

1 minute ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

Hi all,

I am interested in finding what the laws are on Australian cyber crime as I wish to in the future end up in the cyber area but i can't seem to find any good resources, Anyone got any suggestion?

Thanks, Scarlett

Do you mean laws as in regarding internet security? Laws regarding technology? laws regarding software? or all laws regarding technology?

From Australian Federal Police:

Cybercrime offences are found in Commonwealth legislation within parts 10.7 and 10.8 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 and include:

• Computer intrusions
  • Unauthorised modification of data, including destruction of data
  • Unauthorised impairment of electronic communications, including denial of service attacks
  • The creation and distribution of malicious software (for example, malware, viruses, ransomware)
  • Dishonestly obtaining or dealing in personal financial information.

Each State and Territory in Australia has its own legislated computer-related offences that are similar to the Commonwealth legislation as well as legislation which covers online fraud and other technology enabled crimes.

There's also the Cybercrime Act 2001.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

2 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Do you mean laws as in regarding internet security? Laws regarding technology? laws regarding software? or all laws regarding technology?

Laws around technology, and the internet

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

1 minute ago, Quackwich said:

Just now, Statik said:

I will have a look into it, thanks

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

Just now, Spoiled_Kitten said:

That seems to have made it pretty simple to understand, thanks

I'm sure if you wanted to get into the nitty gritty of it there's a lot more, but I feel that's a good general place to start.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Not sure from your op if you want to help prevent cyber crime or become a cyber criminal. But that's irrelevant. 

I hate to be the dick that points out the elephant in the room here. You want to be involved in cyber crime in some way yet you had trouble finding resources, on publicly available websites, regarding regulations. 

I'd suggest going right back to the beginning and learning the basics of learning how to reaserch before even looking at laws and regulations. 

This isn't meant to be put down or a dig, just observation that will hopefully help you. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, Marbo said:

Not sure from your op if you want to help prevent cyber crime or become a cyber criminal. But that's irrelevant. 

I hate to be the dick that points out the elephant in the room here. You want to be involved in cyber crime in some way yet you had trouble finding resources, on publicly available websites, regarding regulations. 

I'd suggest going right back to the beginning and learning the basics of learning how to reaserch before even looking at laws and regulations. 

This isn't meant to be put down or a dig, just observation that will hopefully help you. 

Im aware, just was wondering if there were any sites people recommend.

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!