What would you upgrade?

XeonRSA

Budget (USD): $300~400

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily gaming (COD, Valorant, Witcher 3, GTA V, and any good upcoming games like Cyberpunk)

Other details: I have a 1440p 144mhz screen so would be nice to get most modern games to run at 1440p 144fps but don't think that's going to be possible. 

Current System Specs:

CPU: i7 6700K clocked at 4.4Ghz

COOLING: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler 

MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON
RAM: Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz (2x8GB)
STORAGE: Crucial bx200 480gb
PSU: Antec TP-750C 750W GOLD
GFX: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 8GB 
CASE: NZXT H440 RAZER EDITION

4 minutes ago, XeonRSA said:

Budget (USD): $300~400

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily gaming (COD, Valorant, Witcher 3, GTA V, and any good upcoming games like Cyberpunk)

Other details: I have a 1440p 144mhz screen so would be nice to get most modern games to run at 1440p 144fps but don't think that's going to be possible. 

PC Specs:

CPU: i7 6700K clocked at 4.4Ghz

COOLING: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler 

MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON
RAM: Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz (2x8GB)
STORAGE: Crucial bx200 480gb
PSU: Antec TP-750C 750W GOLD
GFX: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 8GB 
CASE: NZXT H440 RAZER EDITION

Is Windows 10 Pro required? I would get Home. 

A 7700K at 5ghz would get you there. 

You want/need at min 8 threads. 

Anything Intel at 5ghz otherwise.

Or do nothing and wait for Zen 3 release and see how they game. Then perhaps make a choice on uupgrades.

Just some ideas there.....

1 minute ago, Nano Adam said:

Is Windows 10 Pro required? I would get Home. 

Not required, just had a license laying around. Would there be any benefit in changing? 

3 minutes ago, XeonRSA said:

Not required, just had a license laying around. Would there be any benefit in changing? 

Ah! Thought you were gonna buy it! Then you are fine.

since you mentioned COD, maybe an extra ssd, so there is room for other games 😜

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Yeah you're going to end up dropping probably about $1000 at least before you start seeing any meaningful performance increases. Think i7-10700k+Z490+new ram or a 3900x build, even then you're likely looking at single digit percentages at most. On top of that you'd need like a 2070 Super at the minimum which is an insane waste of money when you already have a GTX 1080. 2080 Super/2080 Ti would triple your budget right off.

There's really no upgrade path for you within your budget, if you're not getting the performance you want at all. My advice would be to go 10700k or 3900x and wait for Ampere or RDNA2 and probably spend like $600 on one of those avoid an upgrade that's not actually an upgrade.

Windows 10 Pro is "better", don't worry about it.

Spend some more time trying to push the 6700k, maybe delid. Tweak that super slow memory into something 3000mhz+. You'll find more performance there for free than you'd likely see from $400 if you don't end up with downgrade for that money even. Buy some nice storage or get some accessories, new mousepad, maybe a nice keyboard or something instead. You could also of course save the money for a more worthwhile upgrade in a year or two.

4 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

since you mentioned COD, maybe an extra ssd, so there is room for other games 😜

I'm starting to feel the strain 😅, what SSD would you suggest for my budget? 

Just now, XeonRSA said:

I'm starting to feel the strain 😅, what SSD would you suggest for my budget? 

pretty sure you can get 1tb for ~100USD if you can find a deal. but this depends on how much space you want.

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

5 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

Yeah you're going to end up dropping probably about $1000 at least before you start seeing any meaningful performance increases. Think i7-10700k+Z490+new ram or a 3900x build, even then you're likely looking at single digit percentages at most. On top of that you'd need like a 2070 Super at the minimum which is an insane waste of money when you already have a GTX 1080. 2080 Super/2080 Ti would triple your budget right off.

There's really no upgrade path for you within your budget, if you're not getting the performance you want at all. My advice would be to go 10700k or 3900x and wait for Ampere or RDNA2 and probably spend like $600 on one of those avoid an upgrade that's not actually an upgrade.

Windows 10 Pro is "better", don't worry about it.

Thanks I thought as much, I'll probably add another SSD for now, and then save and wait for the new Gen Nvidia cards to come out. The performance is acceptable for now. Still getting 60+ fps on anything I currently play. 

4 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

pretty sure you can get 1tb for ~100USD if you can find a deal. but this depends on how much space you want.

Okay thanks I'll check around 

21 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

A 7700K at 5ghz would get you there. 

You want/need at min 8 threads. 

Anything Intel at 5ghz otherwise.

Or do nothing and wait for Zen 3 release and see how they game. Then perhaps make a choice on uupgrades.

Just some ideas there.....

Would upgrading to 7700k and pushing 5ghz really make that big of a difference on my current setup? 

11 minutes ago, XeonRSA said:

Would upgrading to 7700k and pushing 5ghz really make that big of a difference on my current setup? 

Well its a higher bin chip so 5ghz will be easier than the 6700K unless you can achieve that as is, then OC it to 5ghz and keep saving your money. 

31 minutes ago, XeonRSA said:

Nah, just overclock the 6700k further. I'd say dump vcore into it until you hit instability and temp limits, personally. You'd be better off buying a Ryzen 3600 over an overpriced as hell used 7700k. Unless you somehow find a used one local or something for sub-$100, otherwise you're paying a price higher than what the same exact silicon from Intel costs today, new in whatever 10th gen i3 they're going to sell. Except you're losing out on a better igpu, better IHS, better power saving features, ect. for the same cpu in a different motherboard that at least has an improved socket in return for breaking compatibility for the 3rd time on Skylake++++.

5ghz on a 4c/8t skylake 6000 series is going to perform nearly the same as 5ghz on a 4c/8t 10000 series comet lake, adding more cores and threads is great but for the most part most games aren't too sensitive to it and if you're not maxing out threads and the games/workloads you use don't see a massive increase in performance from say a 3600 to a 3950x. The 6700k will likely be enough until some more appealing stuff comes out and quad cores or less than 8 threads(lmao 9th gen) become a bottleneck entirely.

Although, on the inverse side. My buddy managed to sell a 6700k on ebay for $220 a couple months ago, at those insane prices you could probably flip the cpu/mobo/ram and buy a Ryzen 3600, 3600mhz memory and a B450 board for about the profit and see a whole 2c/4t extra at roughly the same performance for all of the effort of getting them sold. No idea if that's even remotely viable for you in your region.

I edited in a little paragraph to the post you quoted also, you might have missed it.

15 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

Nah, just overclock the 6700k further. I'd say dump vcore into it until you hit instability and temp limits, personally. You'd be better off buying a Ryzen 3600 over an overpriced as hell used 7700k. Unless you somehow find a used one local or something for sub-$100, otherwise you're paying a price higher than what the same exact silicon from Intel costs today, new in whatever 10th gen i3 they're going to sell. Except you're losing out on a better igpu, better IHS, better power saving features, ect. for the same cpu in a different motherboard that at least has an improved socket in return for breaking compatibility for the 3rd time on Skylake++++.

5ghz on a 4c/8t skylake 6000 series is going to perform nearly the same as 5ghz on a 4c/8t 10000 series comet lake, adding more cores and threads is great but for the most part most games aren't too sensitive to it and if you're not maxing out threads and the games/workloads you use don't see a massive increase in performance from say a 3600 to a 3950x. The 6700k will likely be enough until some more appealing stuff comes out and quad cores or less than 8 threads(lmao 9th gen) become a bottleneck entirely.

Although, on the inverse side. My buddy managed to sell a 6700k on ebay for $220 a couple months ago, at those insane prices you could probably flip the cpu/mobo/ram and buy a Ryzen 3600, 3600mhz memory and a B450 board for about the profit and see a whole 2c/4t extra at roughly the same performance for all of the effort of getting them sold. No idea if that's even remotely viable for you in your region.

I edited in a little paragraph to the post you quoted also, you might have missed it.

Thanks missed the edit!

Think I'll see what I can push the system to and then save up for a complete new build in the next year or two.