What is the purpose of water cooling?

Like I understand it is for better and lower temperatures and all but like why would anyone spend hundreds of dollars for a custom water loop? I seriously don't understand what is the benefit of spending so much money and time just to get lower temperatures. An NH-D14 would be more than enough to get a 3770K at 4.6 GHz at good temperatures and does anyone today really need anything over 4.6 GHz for a 3770k. Also a CPU is meant to go up to 105 degrees although it is not recommended, is 75 degrees like not good enough? I seriously don't understand why people spend so much money that is completely not necessary. Maybe someone here can explain.

what are you on about? a sub $60 closed loop could cool a 3770k@4.6. Think bigger..

It's not just about temperatures, but about noise. With water cooling, you can run fans at much lower speeds and lower noise levels than you can with air cooling and achieve the same temperatures. Especially for GPUs, I mean GPU fans get loud. Plus you have the benefit of cooling everything you want in the same loop.

And "good enough" isn't what enthusiasts strive for. Sure, multi-hundred dollar loops aren't necessary. An NH-D14 or Silver Arrow is "good enough." But being a PC enthusiast is much more than having a "good enough" rig. Most people here would have much lower-specced PCs if they only wanted what was "good enough" for them.

Also, it's fun. Building is fun. Taking on an such an intensive project is a thrilling challenge for a lot of people. You get to really absorb the experience rather than putting together a system in 2-3 hours and then you're done.

And lastly, water cooling loops are freaking gorgeous. I mean look at them. :p

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

It's not just about temperatures, but about noise. With water cooling, you can run fans at much lower speeds and lower noise levels than you can with air cooling and achieve the same temperatures. Especially for GPUs, I mean GPU fans get loud. Plus you have the benefit of cooling everything you want in the same loop.

And "good enough" isn't what enthusiasts strive for. Sure, multi-hundred dollar loops aren't necessary. An NH-D14 or Silver Arrow is "good enough." But being a PC enthusiast is much more than having a "good enough" rig. Most people here would have much lower-specced PCs if they only wanted what was "good enough" for them.

Also, it's fun. Building is fun. Taking on an such an intensive project is a thrilling challenge for a lot of people. You get to really absorb the experience rather than putting together a system in 2-3 hours and then you're done.

Reference cards with blower fans are the worst. I was able to replace a blower fan with a water block without adding any new fans to my system. Went from a fan running at 70+ percent to nothing. Went from 70-80 degrees centigrade to 50. Oh and water cooling is fun and addictive.

what are you on about? a sub $60 closed loop could cool a 3770k@4.6. Think bigger..
I am referring to custom water loops

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to say. I spent about 900 CAD on my loop. Is it really worth it for temps alone? No... that would be ridiculous.

It's a hobby, it was a fun project to design and build. My pc is very quiet right now, my graphics card is water cooled now, I have the ability for high clocks if I so desire. All in all I used to be a poor little boy and now that I am all grown up I will buy myself some fun toys to play with and build.... that's why. ;) Was it worth it? Totally.

i5 2500k, MSI Z77 Mpower, 4x4 GB Musking Enhanced Blackline. MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk(temporary), Samsung 830 128, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to say. I spent about 900 CAD on my loop. Is it really worth it for temps alone? No... that would be ridiculous.

It's a hobby, it was a fun project to design and build. My pc is very quiet right now, my graphics card is water cooled now, I have the ability for high clocks if I so desire. All in all I used to be a poor little boy and now that I am all grown up I will buy myself some fun toys to play with and build.... that's why. ;) Was it worth it? Totally.

Also simply because it looks kewl and for wow factor. Why do people buy ferrari and lamborghini even though they won't drive them 300 km/h? Same reason.

i5 2500k, MSI Z77 Mpower, 4x4 GB Musking Enhanced Blackline. MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk(temporary), Samsung 830 128, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w

Although you spent a lot, your loop is the most beautiful loop I have ever seen! :)

Same thing here. I spent over $700 - for the fun of it. That's what being an IT Geek is all about. Been building systems and done most everything. Water cooling was next. :) My 3570k never gets above 50 at load and my crossfired 6870's went from 88 at load (at sounded like a jet plane in my basement) to about 38 and silent. 50 degree drop. Amazing! And my whole rig is silent. That is what is was mostly about for me... and having a window and showing it all off is nice as well. :D

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I totally agree with MdX here.

Yes. Like, who’d watch Top Gear if it was all about cars "good enough" for average users (same thing for a computer IMHO…)

Yes, it’s about temperatures (you won’t be able to Rambo–clock your CPU on an average air cooled system). Yes, it’s about noise when you have 4 GHz on a silent rig. And yes, it’s about having a nice rig and knowing that it is yours. Why attend NASCAR if you can drive safely to work every day…?

Here is my take on the point of custom loops

1.Temps

2.Noise

3.Looks

If anything I'd say I would spend the extra $500-$800 just to make my whole rig look super sexy just because I can

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Like I understand it is for better and lower temperatures and all but like why would anyone spend hundreds of dollars for a custom water loop? I seriously don't understand what is the benefit of spending so much money and time just to get lower temperatures. An NH-D14 would be more than enough to get a 3770K at 4.6 GHz at good temperatures and does anyone today really need anything over 4.6 GHz for a 3770k. Also a CPU is meant to go up to 105 degrees although it is not recommended' date=' is 75 degrees like not good enough? I seriously don't understand why people spend so much money that is completely not necessary. Maybe someone here can explain.[/quote']

a) noise

b) looks

c) can't stress b) enough

d) cause it's a hobby. Like why do people sleave their cables? They gain 0 from it. Yet I and many others have spent houuuuuuurs single-sleeving endless amounts of cables

e) cause enthusiast doesn't just mean oh look I pawn you I have 7 more fps at BF3 multiplayer

and most importantly cause it's a fun project. Some people enjoy gardening, some people enjoy baking, some people enjoy building awesome systems even if that means "awesome" is mostly aesthetic

Like I understand it is for better and lower temperatures and all but like why would anyone spend hundreds of dollars for a custom water loop? I seriously don't understand what is the benefit of spending so much money and time just to get lower temperatures. An NH-D14 would be more than enough to get a 3770K at 4.6 GHz at good temperatures and does anyone today really need anything over 4.6 GHz for a 3770k. Also a CPU is meant to go up to 105 degrees although it is not recommended' date=' is 75 degrees like not good enough? I seriously don't understand why people spend so much money that is completely not necessary. Maybe someone here can explain.[/quote']

a) noise

b) looks

c) can't stress b) enough

d) cause it's a hobby. Like why do people sleave their cables? They gain 0 from it. Yet I and many others have spent houuuuuuurs single-sleeving endless amounts of cables

e) cause enthusiast doesn't just mean oh look I pawn you I have 7 more fps at BF3 multiplayer

and most importantly cause it's a fun project. Some people enjoy gardening, some people enjoy baking, some people enjoy building awesome systems even if that means "awesome" is mostly aesthetic

Some people enjoy gardening' date=' some people enjoy baking, some people enjoy building awesome systems even if that means "awesome" is mostly aesthetic[/quote']

And seems to cost us a small fortune. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

As above, Noise and Temps!

I am running an OC 3930k and an OC 680. I have Noctua NF12s PWM'd to 500 rpm so they are nearly silent. I Idle at 21/23 and after 100% load for 1 hour via Furmark and Prime95 I sit at 55/51.

Why would I not want that? Plus all of the fittings, tubing, pumps, reservoirs and often the CPU block can be transferred from build to build.

Try and water cool you CPU

I can bet that WC is just so addicting, I'm on my third update in a year. Everytime I said "this would be my last one" but it just kept going

somebody help me .... now aiming for 5c different from ambient temp on my CPU, its oc'ed to 4.5ghz

Custom water cooling loops can look awesome that is prob the only other reason that people do it

That's exactly it MdX !

i don't know, as a student seeing a $100 would be a "MONEY!" for me, i don't even know what to do except for looking at them.. but i also want to have some enthusiast PC like everyone on internet..

but anyway water cooling are purposed for a noise reduction and some other flashy thing

My main reasons for watercooling in order of importance;

1) Looks

2) Noise

3) Cooling performance