Spreading thermal paste on CPU/GPU before clamping the heatsink?

zepeu

Hello World !

I've seen in many videos that when the guys from Linus Tech Tips install a heatsink, they simply put a blob of thermal paste, then smash the heatsink on it, hoping for the thermal paste to spread correctly...

I've always heared that you should spread the thermal paste with a credit card (or similar) to ensure it to be all over the CPU/GPU before putting the heatsink on it... 

Therefore, I'm really surprised to see them (and others) not doing it this way...

Am I wrong and it's useless to spread it? I'm really curious :)

Have a nice day !

Depends on the paste type, but the potential problem with pre spreading is you have the potential to get air bubbles.  The beauty of the pea method is it pushes the air out of the way as it spreads. Downside is it could possibly not reach the edges but the area in the center (which is the bit that matters the most) is bubble free.  Pre applied pastes go all the way to the edges but my suspicion is those are just a bit humped in the middle, which can’t accurately be done with home diy pre spreading.  With pre spreading if the edges are higher than the middle big problems could occur.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Theoretically there are differences. Practically it doesn't matter as long as the whole heatspreader is covered.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Spreading the paste just isn't worth it. Putting enough in the middle and relying on the pressure for distribution is good enough since the heat generating unit - the die - is in the middle on most of the CPUs (Epyc/Threadripper are notable exceptions). If you spread, then you need to get another tool that you need to clean afterwards. The edges of the heatspreader would not transfer enough heat to make a difference and some coolers (Intel stock) even have circular bases that won't cover them anyway. Why bother.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

Its not imperative the whole IHS be covered, at least with intel. I put a line down the center, plop the cooler on it, give it a titty twister and clamp it down. The IHS is mainly there so that you the user does not smash all the cores, like how easy it was on socket 462.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

• 1 month later...

Ok, I understand better :)

Soooo... I'll make it the easy way next time :)

Thanks to everyone !