motherboard considerations for video editing PC.

Hi everyone.

I'm sorry if this info is elsewhere, but I haven't had any luck finding anyone talking about motherboards for video editing.

I'm building a video editing PC for my brother in law. I haven't built a PC in a decade, so quite a bit had changed since then. What are some considerations/features I should keep in mind when picking a motherboard for video editing? Also, how in the world do I find out if I need to update the firmware for a ryzen 3rd gen CPU? I would have no way of doing that since I doubt my Core2 Quad will fit in the AM4 socket (without a hammer, of course).

I did see the LTT video on a budget 4k editing, but all it said about the board was that it "had the features we wanted" without explaining what those features were. It also said it was $95, but pcpartpicker shows it at $250.

Here is my rough build right now, but any input would be welcome. Also, I don't know how much overkill the 3900X would be, if LTT build a machine with the 3600. Same thing with the 2060 vs 1660/super/Ti.

I do recognize I need to find out more specifics about his file types and workflow (I know NOTHING about video). I'm just a little lost and need some direction as a jumping off point. Thanks for any input you guys have.

3 minutes ago, generic000 said:

What are some considerations/features I should keep in mind when picking a motherboard for video editing?

Nothing special

A good board with food IO and vrm solution 

There is no editing specific board 

Also, how in the world do I find out if I need to update the firmware for a ryzen 3rd gen CPU?

Most b450 boards ship with the new bios today 

So it should support it 

X570 b550 and MAX ( board from msi that are branded as max ) support zen 2 out of the box 

Also look for the sticker at the box that says ryzen 3000 ready

Here is my rough build right now, but any input would be welcome. Also, I don't know how much overkill the 3900X would be, if LTT build a machine with the 3600. Same thing with the 2060 vs 1660/super/Ti

First of all

Get a b550 strix f or a aorus pro or a tomahawk mag or a mortar 

And as for the card , if your going to be using cuda go for it 

But if you won't just get a 5700 ( has a bigger frame buffer and should cost the same ) 

If the 5700 is more expensive then keep the 2060.

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, generic000 said:

Have a look into the things @TofuHaroto mentioned above. Also, did you deliberately pick 2 ram set to get 64gb in total? If so, I would just get 2x 32GB dimms. These here would be a good option and come in slightly cheaper https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kGjNnQ/gskill-ripjaws-v-64-gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-64gvk

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

32 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Nothing special

A good board with food IO and vrm solution 

There is no editing specific board 

Most b450 boards ship with the new bios today 

So it should support it 

X570 b550 and MAX ( board from msi that are branded as max ) support zen 2 out of the box 

Also look for the sticker at the box that says ryzen 3000 ready

First of all

Get a b550 strix f or a aorus pro or a tomahawk mag or a mortar 

And as for the card , if your going to be using cuda go for it 

But if you won't just get a 5700 ( has a bigger frame buffer and should cost the same ) 

If the 5700 is more expensive then keep the 2060.

Wow, that was fast. What constitutes a good 'vrm solution'? Thanks for the board suggestions. Just for my curiosity, what makes those boards good? The reason I went with Nvidia was because he mentioned that premier pro works best with them (I assume because of the cuda cores). It's been a long time since I've gone into the weeds with PC hardware.

Also, I could see how having good food IO would be handy. Most mobos can't handle their coffee/mountain dew ;).

Just now, generic000 said:

Wow, that was fast. What constitutes a good 'vrm solution

A lot of things 

How efficient it is 

How good the chokes are 

How good the MOSFETS are 

How good the vrm controller is 

How good the heatsink is 

Over all the boards I suggested are all good.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

37 minutes ago, marmour said:

Have a look into the things @TofuHaroto mentioned above. Also, did you deliberately pick 2 ram set to get 64gb in total? If so, I would just get 2x 32GB dimms. These here would be a good option and come in slightly cheaper https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kGjNnQ/gskill-ripjaws-v-64-gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-64gvk

Thanks for the tip. Really I just selected a few peramiters and sorted by gb/$. It's still just a rough build to get an idea of costs.

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

A lot of things 

How efficient it is 

How good the chokes are 

How good the MOSFETS are 

How good the vrm controller is 

How good the heatsink is 

Over all the boards I suggested are all good

Talk about into the weeds...

I think I'll just go with one of your suggestions. I don't think I have the time to look at all the datasheets for all the components for all the possible boards, as interesting as that might be. I figured this would be the right place to ask this question (I typically don't ask questions on forums). Thanks for your great input.

2 minutes ago, generic000 said:

Thanks for your great input.

No problem :D

Build Log: 

On 6/29/2020 at 12:25 PM, TofuHaroto said:

No problem :D

Hey, one more question. I notice on pcpartpicker that there was a warning message about the board needing an extra 4 pin connector for power that my power supply didn't have. I tried a few different supplies, and then filtered the pet supply results by '8 pin + 4 pin' and got 2 real results. Would a Corsair RMx 650 gold not be able to run the ROG Strix B550 F? If not what kind of power supply do I need? Thanks again for all your help.

5 hours ago, generic000 said:

Hey, one more question. I notice on pcpartpicker that there was a warning message about the board needing an extra 4 pin connector for power that my power supply didn't have. I tried a few different supplies, and then filtered the pet supply results by '8 pin + 4 pin' and got 2 real results. Would a Corsair RMx 650 gold not be able to run the ROG Strix B550 F? If not what kind of power supply do I need? Thanks again for all your help.

The 4 pin isn’t needed unless you are ln2 overclocking, as the 8pin can provide 384w of power which is plenty for a 3900x. 

5 hours ago, generic000 said:

tried a few different supplies, and then filtered the pet supply results by '8 pin + 4 pin

Was sleeping sorry lol 

But like what @gloop said 

It's used for heavy / ln2 overclocking 

A single 8pin can provide up to 384w of power 

Which with a ryzen cpu 

You won't reach any time soon 

Build Log: 

Thanks guys. That clears things up. The motherboard was the one thing I really didn't research that much last time (2009) because there weren't many boards that had the features that I wanted.

• 3 weeks later...

@generic000 , @TofuHaroto  I am facing kinda the same problem for that 4K video editing build that LTT had posted. I can’t find the Motherboard they recommenced in Canada and when I searched for another motherboard there were so many results with just a little difference that I can’t decide! I have bought all the other parts of the LLT build but I don’t know what motherboard will have the features he was talking about also I don’t know if I should go for b450 or b550. I’m just tired of looking at the the motherboard similar names and I truly feel overwhelmed 🤦‍♀️😓. Any help would be great! 

1 minute ago, River Song said:

Welcome to the forums. 

This is kind of an old thread now. So make your own thread :D.

i don't really like cluttering OP's thread tbh. 

but if OP doesn't mind that. 

ill just answer this question. I'm going to assume you are going with a 3600. 

for b550. 

tomahawk mag

mortar

aorus pro 

strix f 

Steel legend 

pro 4 

b450. 

tomahawk max

mortar 

pro vdh max. 

pro 4 

a pro max (non m). But as I said. If you have a question. Would suggest making your own thread. 

Build Log: 

17 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Welcome to the forums. 

This is kind of an old thread now. So make your own thread :D.

i don't really like cluttering OP's thread tbh. 

but if OP doesn't mind that. 

ill just answer this question. I'm going to assume you are going with a 3600. 

for b550. 

tomahawk mag

mortar

aorus pro 

strix f 

Steel legend 

pro 4 

b450. 

tomahawk max

mortar 

pro vdh max. 

pro 4 

a pro max (non m). But as I said. If you have a question. Would suggest making your own thread. 

@TofuHaroto thanks ! I built a new thread ! I don’t know what OP so I didn’t get that part of your comment 😁. But thanks anyway! 

Just now, River Song said:

what OP

OP is the maker of this thread. 

No problem. 

Build Log: