Calling All E-Bike Riders! Sell Me On A Bike!

SenKa

I havent shopped in several years, and now find myself moving deep in to a busy city for uni and it does not make economical sense to bring my Jeep with me. Last I checked, the RadWagon was basically the perfect pike for my needs, but the issue is at the moment is that it's backordered until September and I would really like to have it by mid August. While I would like to hang around the RadWagon's price, i am okay with spending more for better goods. Necessities in order of importance are:

Cargo capability

Comfort/Range (tied)

Extraneous features (GPS, Bluetooth support, ect...)

Is there anything else worth considering, or should i just try to track down a RadWagon somewhere? TYIA!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Try building something. Just get a normal bike you like and strap on a Bafang or something.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Try building something. Just get a normal bike you like and strap on a Bafang or something.

Issue with that is the cargo requirement, as the cheapest cargo bike (atleast that I am aware of) is the Mongoose Envoy, which is $790 US, add $800 for a 750w Bafang setup and I am at RadWagon money for a worse overall bike.

That is, unless im totally missing something.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

8 minutes ago, SenKa said:

Issue with that is the cargo requirement, as the cheapest cargo bike (atleast that I am aware of) is the Mongoose Envoy, which is $790 US, add $800 for a 750w Bafang setup and I am at RadWagon money for a worse overall bike.

That is, unless im totally missing something.

What makes a bike a "cargo bike"? You can add a rack or rack battery to basically any hardtail.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 hours ago, SenKa said:

I havent shopped in several years, and now find myself moving deep in to a busy city for uni and it does not make economical sense to bring my Jeep with me.

Can't put a price on the freedom that having a vehicle to drive gives you. And being in college, I would want something to go out with friends in and pick up a date with. If economics are an issue, maybe just downsize to something like a Miata that gets decent mileage and has an actual air conditioner. No way in hell would I give up a vehicle with actual AC and heat. Do you really want to arrive at class all sweaty?

That said, why not just get a moped? They get insanely good MPG and you can actually drive them in traffic so you can get where you want much faster. Sure, you don't get any exercise but you can just get a normal bike for nice days when you want some. They are pretty cheap too. You could get something like this.

Sorry, I know I'm suggesting something other than what you asked but I do genuinely think a moped makes more sense if you really can't bring a vehicle with you.

6 hours ago, SenKa said:

Extraneous features (GPS, Bluetooth support, ect...)

I would just use your phone for any GPS or music needs to help keep costs down.

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What makes a bike a "cargo bike"? You can add a rack or rack battery to basically any hardtail.

the amount the cargo rack can carry, really. 

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Kawaii Koneko said:

Can't put a price on the freedom that having a vehicle to drive gives you. And being in college, I would want something to go out with friends in and pick up a date with. If economics are an issue, maybe just downsize to something like a Miata that gets decent mileage and has an actual air conditioner. No way in hell would I give up a vehicle with actual AC and heat. Do you really want to arrive at class all sweaty?

Issues are less gas mileage and more paying for parking + the INSANE insurance cost for my age bracket. (18-24). Bikes don't have to pay for parking, or insurance, and registration is free. My jeep already doesn't have AC 😛

That said, why not just get a moped? They get insanely good MPG and you can actually drive them in traffic so you can get where you want much faster. Sure, you don't get any exercise but you can just get a normal bike for nice days when you want some. They are pretty cheap too. You could get something like this.

I considered it. What makes the difference for me is commuting throughout my very large campus. An e-bike can be used on campus sidewalks, mopeds can't. While minor, its still a massive convenience buff for me. Also, mopeds require state registration, which DOES have a small fee.

Sorry, I know I'm suggesting something other than what you asked but I do genuinely think a moped makes more sense if you really can't bring a vehicle with you... I would just use your phone for any GPS or music needs to help keep costs down.

Not a problem, always open to hearing ideas i may not have thought of otherwise! It just so happens this is one that i have already thought through. And the extraneous features more meant GPS tracking of the bike in my head. That is a feature on more expensive bikes.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Really can’t beat an unlocked Bafang for price/performance. (Can go 52v) Pair with a hard tail and pannier. Those radwagons just look terrible.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Really can’t beat an unlocked Bafang for price/performance. (Can go 52v) Pair with a hard tail and pannier. Those radwagons just look terrible.

Or TSDZ2 if OP wants cheap torque sensing.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

I like the looks personally, and my issue is finding a long hardtail frame to base off of regardless. Mongoose Envoy is as close as i have found, and thats still a $900 bike.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, SenKa said:

I like the looks personally, and my issue is finding a long hardtail frame to base off of regardless. Mongoose Envoy is as close as i have found, and thats still a $900 bike.

You're going to be a lot more comfy on the hardtail and easier to pedal. Why not try them both out in the shop? 

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2020 at 5:39 PM, SenKa said:

No, the other poster is correct. Radwagons are terribly ugly. I have trouble understanding how even after seeing an Envoy you still had (have?) doubts. I saw an Envoy for the very first time a week ago and I bought one within the hour. It was not $900. It was $750. A motor will be $500 and a battery another $500. I'll be ordering those soon. And, yes, that's about what a Radwagon costs. I don't have a problem with that.

Dang.  I ride a bike exclusively for exercise and now I'm looking for reasons to *not* get a bafang.  Looks like it'll be neat to install and having a little mini motorcycle would be a blast.  

Any insights into how durable bafangs are for mild mountain biking?  I wouldn't use the motor while doing it, but I'm talking easy trails -- roots, maybe a few 1-2 foot drops, the occasional light crash etc.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

4 hours ago, Rybo said:

Dang.  I ride a bike exclusively for exercise and now I'm looking for reasons to *not* get a bafang.  Looks like it'll be neat to install and having a little mini motorcycle would be a blast.  

Any insights into how durable bafangs are for mild mountain biking?  I wouldn't use the motor while doing it, but I'm talking easy trails -- roots, maybe a few 1-2 foot drops, the occasional light crash etc.  

Word is theyre quite good, though my radwagon (i did end up deciding on getting one) hasnt arrived yet. I know Louis Rossman praises them.

18 hours ago, Leisesturm said:

No, the other poster is correct. Radwagons are terribly ugly. I have trouble understanding how even after seeing an Envoy you still had (have?) doubts. I saw an Envoy for the very first time a week ago and I bought one within the hour. It was not $900. It was $750. A motor will be $500 and a battery another $500. I'll be ordering those soon. And, yes, that's about what a Radwagon costs. I don't have a problem with that.

No way to be correct or incorrect about subjective opinion, also, i paid less than that for my radwagon because of preorder pricing. I will admit that the value proposition is there with the envo going down in price and the radwagon going up, but i felt the higher cargo capacity of the radwagon and overall accommodations (the radwagon being designed as an ebike) were worth it since i intend to use the bike for work as well as commute.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler