Is it safe to use a 650 VA UPS on my PC?

VinZarHP

Is a 650VA UPS enough? I checked on outervision website that my system draws around 350W under load..

And if it's safe, would it also be enough if I plug in a monitor and an internet router to the 650VA UPS? Right now, only my PC is plugged in on the UPS. The monitor and the router is currently plugged directly to the wall cuz Im scared that the UPS might not be able to handle all 3 of them..

Would really like to be able to plug all three to a UPS.

Monitor:

24" 144hz TN Panel LED no rgb

My PC Specs:

asrock b450 hdv

R3 3300x

1650 Super

2x8gb ddr4 3200mhz

1tb hdd

240gb ssd

6x120mm fans

600w 80+ white psu

25 minutes ago, VinZarHP said:

Monitor:

24" 144hz TN Panel LED no rgb

My PC Specs:

10-20w asrock b450 hdv

60w R3 3300x

75-100w 1650 Super

5w 2x8gb ddr4 3200mhz

<10w 1tb hdd

<3w 240gb ssd

<2w each 6x120mm fans

600w 80+ white psu

You're looking at 200-250w when gaming, under 100w in windows, watching youtube etc ...add 50w for crappy efficiency of psu (if psu gives 300w to components with 80% eff. it means it will take 300w x 100/80 = 375w from mains cable)

Monitor... maybe 40-60w

Yeah, a 650va ups should be fine, but it's not 100% guaranteed... it depends if the ups is pure sine wave or simulated sine wave (simulated sine wave upses make the psu work harder and some psus don't like it too much), how fast the up switching to battery and how good the psu is (the psu in theory should stay up for at least 1/60 Hz - ~16ms - with no ac input, but some power supplies cheap out on input "buffer" and may only stay up for 10+ ms ... i the ups can't switch to battery input within that ms time frame you may find the pc just resetting or shutting down.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

THe ups should be able to handle them all, the monitor and router won't use much power.

Why don't you test it?

Was too scared to test it out, thought it might damage something if i test it haha. 😅

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

You're looking at 200-250w when gaming, under 100w in windows, watching youtube etc ...add 50w for crappy efficiency of psu (if psu gives 300w to components with 80% eff. it means it will take 300w x 100/80 = 375w from mains cable)

Monitor... maybe 40-60w

Yeah, a 650va ups should be fine, but it's not 100% guaranteed... it depends if the ups is pure sine wave or simulated sine wave (simulated sine wave upses make the psu work harder and some psus don't like it too much), how fast the up switching to battery and how good the psu is (the psu in theory should stay up for at least 1/60 Hz - ~16ms - with no ac input, but some power supplies cheap out on input "buffer" and may only stay up for 10+ ms ... i the ups can't switch to battery input within that ms time frame you may find the pc just resetting or shutting down.

Ummm im pretty clueless on how to tell wether its pure or simulated sine wave 😅. but lemme search in the internet to get a better understanding. Is it safe to test out if it stays on? maybe i can try unplugging it while running the 3 devices to see if it stays on? or is that unsafe?

6 minutes ago, VinZarHP said:

Was too scared to test it out, thought it might damage something if i test it haha. 😅

Yea its fine to test it. It has over current protection, so worst case it will just shut it all off.