Intel i7 4790k or Ryzen r3 3300x

I've taken my sister's old system apart today, I was thinking could the i7 4790k still be used as a esports / arcade emulator system in the living room or should I buy a Ryzen 3300x, I know my sis's 4790k can hit 4.8ghz since she has been using it at that speed for the past few years. But my computer build class teach adviced that since my sis had been using the chip overclocked for so many years it was better for me to get a new cpu (he suggested the r3 3300x) because the cpu might be on it's last legs(could be dying) due to the heavy usage my sis's work. 

What do you guys think?

Is my teach right? 

Or should I just go ahead? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

3 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

But my computer build class teach adviced that since my sis had been using the chip overclocked for so many years it was better for me to get a new cpu (he suggested the r3 3300x

Yea if it has a static voltage of like 1.4 

For the most part no that's not completely accurate

Keep the 4790k

The 3300x is better but the 4790k should do the job for now

And wait for zen 3

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Has the system ever shown any signs of instability? If yes they swap the CPU & Board, if not then its fine. There's no point replacing a working system because it might be broken.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Umm...

Just like TofuHaroto said you should keep the 4790k. If it's pulled itself for this long, it should be able to pull itself for a few more months (Maybe even a year, if you bring it down to stock speeds). Wait for Ryzen 4th gen, They will provide much better value as well as performance and are only a few months away.

You should be fine with the 4790K. Even overclocked most CPUs will live for so long, that you will likely swap it out for a speed upgrade alone before it fails. The 4790K still has life in it even in terms of speed.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yea if it has a static voltage of like 1.4 

For the most part no that's not completely accurate

Keep the 4790k

The 3300x is better but the 4790k should do the job for now

And wait for zen 3

1.39v full time, 

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Has the system ever shown any signs of instability? If yes they swap the CPU & Board, if not then its fine. There's no point replacing a working system because it might be broken.

Sometimes it auto restarts lately and boots into bsod

3 minutes ago, Infernomoonsault said:

Umm...

Just like TofuHaroto said you should keep the 4790k. If it's pulled itself for this long, it should be able to pull itself for a few more months (Maybe even a year, if you bring it down to stock speeds). Wait for Ryzen 4th gen, They will provide much better value as well as performance and are only a few months away.

K I'll try 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

Also it's not really high voltage that kills or degrades CPUs. It's the higher temps following higher voltages. If the temps were good in your sister's PC, then the CPU should be fine.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

1.39v full time, 

K I'll try 

If there are signs of instability, go for a lower OC.

2 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

In that case your teacher was probably correct.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

1.39v full time,

Change that to a voltage with a negative offset and you'll be fine 

No need changing wait for zen 3

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Also it's not really high voltage that kills or degrades CPUs. It's the higher temps following higher voltages. If the temps were good in your sister's PC, then the CPU should be fine.

We ran it with an older version of h100 from corsair 

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

If there are signs of instability, go for a lower OC.

I don't know how to overclock yet I'll probably be running it stock 

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

In that case your teacher was probably correct.

I see. 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Change that to a voltage with a negative offset and you'll be fine 

No need changing wait for zen 3

K I'll try still learning 

1 minute ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

We ran it with an older version of h100 from corsair 

I don't know how to overclock yet I'll probably be running it stock 

I see. 

I would still agree with @Stahlmann98 though, try lowering the OC or even run at stock before throwing the system out. Also you should run a full pass of MemTestX86 on the system to make sure the issue isn't with the RAM.

22 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I would still agree with @Stahlmann98 though, try lowering the OC or even run at stock before throwing the system out. Also you should run a full pass of MemTestX86 on the system to make sure the issue isn't with the RAM.

Agree.. It still has some great IPC and abilities for typical usages..

Knowing you want it for E-Sports and Emulation,... Use Stock or a Lighter OC (Stock algorithms with Enhanced Single/Dual Thread OC on the Multi)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz