PLEASE HELP : Building a Ryzen work PC - Trying to compare to a i7 9700k

Budget (including currency): Euro €600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Used for Pharmacy Dispensary Software and SQL server

Other details 

Hi all, I work for a pharmaceutical software support company. I build and test the hardware that is sent to/back from site. The PCs we use are pretty much used for web browsing and the dispensary software and SQL server. 

I need help designing a PC build that will replace my company's current PC of choice. They are currently buying each i7 9700 k for the €1200 mark each. Included in this is a standard mouse and keyboard and a VGA cable. They only use HDD 1 tb as storage.

I am trying to replicate the i7 9700k for as cheap as possible to make the company as financially viable as possible in the hopes I can build the PCs full time.

I have been watching Linus Tech Tips and other PC build videos for awhile before I came up with the idea of replacing the PCs we use for a cheaper alternative that is cost effective but similar to the i7 9700k.

I have been researching build components and the below is the list I have come up with,

ASUS Prime B450M-A Micro ATX Motherboard, AMD Socket AM4, Ryzen 3000 Ready, PCIe 3.0, M.2, DDR4, LAN, HDMI, DVI-D, D-Sub, USB 3.1, Aura Sync RGB Header

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor (6C/12T, 35 MB Cache, 4.2 GHz Max Boost)

ASUS GT710-SL-2GD5-BRK GeForce GT 710 2 GB DDR5 Low Profile Graphics Card for Silent HTPC Build (with I/O Port Brackets)

Seagate HDD Internal 1 TB BarraCuda SATA 3.5 Computer Hard Disk Drive - Silver

Ram - Unsure what I need

PSU - Unsure of what I need

Case - Eye catching

Any help or suggestions would be amazing !!! Thank you in advance 

Your gonna want a ssd, its going to be painfully slow on a hard drives.

The 710 is pretty gutless to, much slower than the igpu on the i7

What is cpu usage on your program? Is it multithreaded? Have you tried disabling cores to see how performance is affected? 

The 3600 is the closest to the 9700K from AMD's Zen 2 line-up.

I wouldn't get that motherboard as it's really poor. Granted it'll work with a 6-core 3600 but still something like an MSI B450M-PRO VDH Max, Asrock B450 Pro4 or heck even a Gigabyte B450 DS3H/S2H would be better.

Also, not having an SSD nowadays is a serious handicap. Especially when they've gotten so much cheaper, I can't really why one would grab an HDD instead. There's a night and day difference between them.

Regarding the memory and PSU, if you want to save money look for a dual-channel 3000MHz memory kit and something like a VS450 (the new, grey label model, not the old oraneg label one) or a Seasonic S12III 450W. They're not particularly great and I wouldn't normally recommend them, but for a system with just a 6-core and a GT 710 they should be enough. If anything, also check for pricing on Corsair's CX450.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, Shaneobrien said:

<snip>

Have you considered a Ryzen 5 APU? What you're asking it to do - Web Browsing, SQL, etc, really doesn't require i7 or 6 core levels of performance, unless you're talking A LOT of SQL transactions (In which case, you'll want a proper server.) You could likely even use an R3 APU without noticing the difference. This would also allow you to not buy a GPU, which a GT 710 is a waste of money outside of being a graphics adapter- It's something to plug your cable into.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly ! I really appreciate it ! 

I could use an SSD for boot and a HDD for overall storage possibly?

Im unsure of what CPU usage the program uses but I can find out.

Same can be said for multithreading - unsure but again I can find out from the head developer

3 minutes ago, Shaneobrien said:

I could use an SSD for boot and a HDD for overall storage possibly?

yea you can do that, how much storage do you need total?

4 minutes ago, Shaneobrien said:

Same can be said for multithreading - unsure but again I can find out from the head developer

Thats almost easier to test by turning off cores. If the performnace is simmilar with 2 cores or 4 cores disabled, just get the i5 or i3 instead.

4 minutes ago, Shaneobrien said:

m unsure of what CPU usage the program uses but I can find out.

task manager screenshot would help to show whats limiting the performance.

5 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Have you considered a Ryzen 5 APU? What you're asking it to do - Web Browsing, SQL, etc, really doesn't require i7 or 6 core levels of performance, unless you're talking A LOT of SQL transactions (In which case, you'll want a proper server.) You could likely even use an R3 APU without noticing the difference. This would also allow you to not buy a GPU, which a GT 710 is a waste of money outside of being a graphics adapter- It's something to plug your cable into.

Thanks for the response!! Originally I had been looking at the Ryzen 5 apu for exactly that reason - the graphics card is not needed.  When you say alot of SQL transactions, i would need a proper server , what do you mean ? in what regard? 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea you can do that, how much storage do you need total?

Thats almost easier to test by turning off cores. If the performnace is simmilar with 2 cores or 4 cores disabled, just get the i5 or i3 instead.

task manager screenshot would help to show whats limiting the performance.

Brill i can get that tomorrow and post it !

Just now, Shaneobrien said:

Brill i can get that tomorrow and post it !

The standard memory they have is 1tb

The standard memory they have is 1tb

Do you need high performance io? How much of that 1tb is used?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need high performance io? How much of that 1tb is used?

To be honest not alot of the 1tb is actually used , its just a requirement that they insisted on from before I started there a year and a half ago. 

How would I figure out if I need a high performance IO?

To be honest not alot of the 1tb is actually used , its just a requirement that they insisted on from before I started there a year and a half ago. 

How would I figure out if I need a high performance IO?

What is the disk usage when running the program? 

Can you change the requirements if you don't need that 1tb? A 500gb ssd is probalby a much better bet here.

also if this is a comapny desktop, just get some dell/hp/lenovo, its cheaper normally, easier to work on, and its good hardware. no reason to go diy pcs at a company normally(there is a reason why almost all company desktops are prebuilts)

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is the disk usage when running the program? 

Can you change the requirements if you don't need that 1tb? A 500gb ssd is probalby a much better bet here.

also if this is a comapny desktop, just get some dell/hp/lenovo, its cheaper normally, easier to work on, and its good hardware. no reason to go diy pcs at a company normally(there is a reason why almost all company desktops are prebuilts)

I can check and get back to you, It is a company desktop that we would be sending to site, the idea being if i could create a build that worked in a similar way we could build them in house as opposed to buying them pre built , but i understand where your coming from

1 minute ago, Shaneobrien said:

I can check and get back to you, It is a company desktop that we would be sending to site, the idea being if i could create a build that worked in a similar way we could build them in house as opposed to buying them pre built , but i understand where your coming from

Id really just get a prebuilt, there much easier to work with. Your not really saving money with a diy, and you normally get better management and driver software for prebuilts aswell.

9 minutes ago, Shaneobrien said:

Thanks for the response!! Originally I had been looking at the Ryzen 5 apu for exactly that reason - the graphics card is not needed.  When you say alot of SQL transactions, i would need a proper server , what do you mean ? in what regard? 

Well, you mentioned that these will be used as an SQL server. A 3rd gen i7/Xeon E3 v2 can easily handle many clients. Lenovo's old TS430 was simulated with 192 checkout lanes (over 500 transactions per minute), for example, and easily kept up. Source: http://www.principledtechnologies.com/clients/reports/Lenovo/ThinkServer_TS430_0112.pdf

If it's going into a production environment, you might have more data coming in, which would stress the system more.

You'd want a proper server for something mission critical anyways, to have RAS features not present on consumer hardware. If you don't know what that means, you either don't need it, or you're already running a real server.

Also keep in mind for companies, part of what your paying for in a desktop is convenience and reliability. When it stops working, you take it back to Lenovo, etc. CYA.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Well, you mentioned that these will be used as an SQL server. A 3rd gen i7/Xeon E3 v2 can easily handle many clients. Lenovo's old TS430 was simulated with 192 checkout lanes (over 500 transactions per minute), for example, and easily kept up. Source: http://www.principledtechnologies.com/clients/reports/Lenovo/ThinkServer_TS430_0112.pdf

If it's going into a production environment, you might have more data coming in, which would stress the system more.

You'd want a proper server for something mission critical anyways, to have RAS features not present on consumer hardware. If you don't know what that means, you either don't need it, or you're already running a real server.

Also keep in mind for companies, part of what your paying for in a desktop is convenience and reliability. When it stops working, you take it back to Lenovo, etc. CYA.

Thats really helpfull! I should probably change the thread just to get those kind of questions! The straight answer is I dont know, I can ask the tester tomorrow and find out but no I dont think it would be that high. 

47 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The 3600 is the closest to the 9700K from AMD's Zen 2 line-up.

I wouldn't get that motherboard as it's really poor. Granted it'll work with a 6-core 3600 but still something like an MSI B450M-PRO VDH Max, Asrock B450 Pro4 or heck even a Gigabyte B450 DS3H/S2H would be better.

Also, not having an SSD nowadays is a serious handicap. Especially when they've gotten so much cheaper, I can't really why one would grab an HDD instead. There's a night and day difference between them.

Regarding the memory and PSU, if you want to save money look for a dual-channel 3000MHz memory kit and something like a VS450 (the new, grey label model, not the old oraneg label one) or a Seasonic S12III 450W. They're not particularly great and I wouldn't normally recommend them, but for a system with just a 6-core and a GT 710 they should be enough. If anything, also check for pricing on Corsair's CX450.

Thank you , il check out those motherboards! is there any benefit to using a SSD for boot and the HDD for storage? As far as I know they originally wanted the HDD because its easier to restore data if something went wrong ( even though its backed up daily)

Thank you , il check out those motherboards! is there any benefit to using a SSD for boot and the HDD for storage? As far as I know they originally wanted the HDD because its easier to restore data if something went wrong ( even though its backed up daily)

I don't get the easier to restore argument, backups will keep data safe, and ssds are much more reliable aswell.

SSDS will make it much faster, launching programs and updates on a hdd is just very slow.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't get the easier to restore argument, backups will keep data safe, and ssds are much more reliable aswell.

SSDS will make it much faster, launching programs and updates on a hdd is just very slow.

I agree, im hoping to demonstrate that this time next month

1 hour ago, Shaneobrien said:

If the Ryzen APUs don't have enough power for what you need, then this might be the one time any would buy an i5-10400. It has performance closer to a i7-9700 and has an iGPU, which would greatly simplify things vs going with R5 3600 + dGPU for about the same price.

Ryzen APU is probably the better choice here though. Much better value.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S