Is it worth overclocking my GPU?

Mondas42

Hi all,

My GPU is the Sapphire Radeon RX5700 XT Nitro + Special Edition. As I understand it its already 'overclocked' by the manufacture. Is it worth OC'ing it further? or would this make it unstable? According to Sapphire, the stats are:-

Base clock - 1840Hz

Game clock - 1965Hz

Boost clock - 2035Hz

Memory clock - 14.4 Gbps

ta

Martin

Hey Martin

Never trust what the manufacturer says, always test yourself and see what it runs at. But these stats are pretty high, if true. I don't think it's worth OC-further - assuming they're legit.

20 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Hey Martin

Never trust what the manufacturer says, always test yourself and see what it runs at. But these stats are pretty high, if true. I don't think it's worth OC-further - assuming they're legit.

Ive ran it under load and the clock frequency does indeed hit and occasionally exceed the max clock speed quoted.

No real point in overclocking modern hardware. Auto boosting is far better than ever before and gives you bear maximum possible performance

Overclocking scare the shiz out of me ill sooner save up and buy a better part than BOX what i have and have nothing.

1 minute ago, Apemanonline said:

Overclocking scare the shiz out of me ill sooner save up and buy a better part than BOX what i have and have nothing.

Lol.. no overclocking utility will allow you to kill your GPU. Worst case scenario - you apply something that doesn't hold by a long shot and it crashes the system. But in order to kill a GPU, you'd need to send idk.. 2 volts through it and usually, OC utilities doesn't even allow you to change the voltage directly, they merely allow you to set a power target. OC-ing a GPU is literally the easiest thing you can do. 

4 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Lol.. no overclocking utility will allow you to kill your GPU. 

I think this fear comes from late 90's when it was easy to set GPU beyond it capabilities and fry it.
And overclocking, as in seriously trying to get much higher numbers for the sake fo going further is only worth if you plan to break a record. Regular and OC card will benefit much more from taking care of case airflow then from trying to get extra 5% of MHz speeds which at best, will give you something like extra 1-8 frames in already high-fps tittles.

1 minute ago, keik said:

I think this fear comes from late 90's when it was easy to set GPU beyond it capabilities and fry it.
And overclocking, as in seriously trying to get much higher numbers for the sake fo going further is only worth if you plan to break a record. Regular and OC card will benefit much more from taking care of case airflow then from trying to get extra 5% of MHz speeds which at best, will give you something like extra 1-8 frames in already high-fps tittles.

My gtx 1070 ran stock at 1835. And 2050mhz OC-ed with a manual curve. I think it was worth a few hours of testing to get 10% more out of it. But I understand the fear. If you don't know how it's done and how it works, it's completely valid to be afraid to do it

3 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

My gtx 1070 ran stock at 1835. And 2050mhz OC-ed with a manual curve. I think it was worth a few hours of testing to get 10% more out of it. But I understand the fear. If you don't know how it's done and how it works, it's completely valid to be afraid to do it

Nice. I never managed to get that much of boost so that's why such a sarcastic approach :P