Engineering Cad/Cam Workstation $3000 CAD Budget

Q9gsb

Budget (including currency): $3000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Solid Works, Cam package (currently HSM works but potentially a more robust option down the road), Syspro

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Currently have a 10 year old workstation with a xeon, and a low end Quadro card

I have been given permission to build my new work pc. I work a lot with small to medium cad files, but going forward will likely work with increasingly larger cad files. Generating cam programs currently is ROUGH, takes minutes to even select the features I want to perform machine operations on.

My PC regularly is at about 10-11 GB of ram and will often dip into the hard drive for additional ram capacity, cpu is often pinned at 90% plus.

Monitors are currently just run of the mill 1080p mix matched monitors. Definintely open to an upgrade in the future (Ultrawide curved) but for the time being these will be my daily drivers.

I have attached my preliminary build I put together but I am open to changes especially 

1. Large increase in performance for not much $$$

2. Small reduction in performance for a lot of $$$

I appreciate any and all input!

Any particular reason you’re going intel?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

From what I read single threaded performance is the largest performance factor when using solidworks. This is the only real reason I chose an intel cpu (other than it is also what I am familiar with)

3 hours ago, Q9gsb said:

From what I read single threaded performance is the largest performance factor when using solidworks. This is the only real reason I chose an intel cpu (other than it is also what I am familiar with)

Fair enough. It’s got single thread and lots of cores.
Not sure how much extra you’ll get out of that hyper212 though.

Might maybe want a bit more cooler if there’s $20-$30 left in the budget.  If single thread is going to be the jam you’ll love overclock and the 10900k is rumored to get kinda warm.  Macho or grande RT is supposed to work well.  Any of the noctuas that have more than 4 pipes might help too.  I don’t remember ripjaws memory being tall but most of those coolers are big enough to cause a problem with tall memory. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Fair enough. It’s got single thread and lots of cores.
Not sure how much extra you’ll get out of that hyper212 though.

Might maybe want a bit more cooler if there’s $20-$30 left in the budget.  If single thread is going to be the jam you’ll love overclock and the 10900k is rumored to get kinda warm.  Macho or grande RT is supposed to work well.  Any of the noctuas that have more than 4 pipes might help too.  I don’t remember ripjaws memory being tall but most of those coolers are big enough to cause a problem with tall memory. 

Thats a good point, I do remember Hearing the 10th gen run a little warm. I had good luck with the hyper 212 on my home pc (I5 4690K) but this I7 might be a little harder to keep under control. Ill take a look at the noctuas I know LTT has always been a big proponent of their fans so I assume their coolers are of similar quality.

30 minutes ago, Q9gsb said:

Thats a good point, I do remember Hearing the 10th gen run a little warm. I had good luck with the hyper 212 on my home pc (I5 4690K) but this I7 might be a little harder to keep under control. Ill take a look at the noctuas I know LTT has always been a big proponent of their fans so I assume their coolers are of similar quality.

It turns out it runs less hot than people were afraid it was going to partially because intel went to some tricks normally only performed by overclocking hackers like die thinning.  It’s still a bit warm though. Folks were afraid TDP would be over 300w.  It’s more like low 200s with some overclock.  A mid tier cooler like the 212 could run it at stock, but you’re buying a K chip.

As to Noctua their stuff is good quality, but quite pricey.  They’re one of the few companies that still do decent 5 pipe coolers though. That legrande macho is a 7pipe but the pipes are smaller than some.  My view on coolers is all about all about performance per dollar.  There are 4 pipe coolers that will perform like 6 pipe if the pipes are good enough and big enough as well.   

If your budget allows it get a 10900K and a 360mm watercooler. The CPU got 5.3 GHz Thermal Velocity Boost, the 10700K 200 MHz less. And you get two More cores of course.

5 hours ago, koptr said:

If your budget allows it get a 10900K and a 360mm watercooler. The CPU got 5.3 GHz Thermal Velocity Boost, the 10700K 200 MHz less. And you get two More cores of course.

Perhaps.  The whole 360mm rad for 10900ks was about them breaking 300w. They were brand spanking new or pre-release. It’s totally an option for max overclock and would guarantee enough cooling no matter what.

20 hours ago, Q9gsb said:

If you do a lot of cpu based rendering a higher core count cpu will shorten render times signigficantly.

I suggest a more powerful cpu cooler. Should result in a quieter system.

Consider a quieter case with a usb-c port and a motherboard that supports the port.

Even though psu prices are close to obscene, consider a better and quieter psu.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($616.50 @ Amazon Canada) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($104.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z490-A ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($304.70 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($159.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($157.50 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: PNY Quadro RTX 4000 8 GB Video Card  ($1232.80 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Memory Express) 
Total: $2896.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-23 16:28 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.