Corsair TM650X cable issue?

Macka09

Hi guys. I’ve recently purchased the above psu. Mainly because the RM version wasn't available. Anyway, the issue I’m having is that I have a 2070 gpu which has an 8 and 6 ports on the card for power. The cable from the psu occupies one type 4 slot and the end that goes to the gpu splits into two 8 ports. How can I tidy this up? Is it a case of needing extensions? Can you actually get one cable that goes from my gpu to the type four slot at the psu?  Cheers guys, any advice would be great. 

2 minutes ago, Macka09 said:

The cable from the psu occupies one type 4 slot and the end that goes to the gpu splits into two 8 ports. How can I tidy this up? Is it a case of needing extensions? Can you actually get one cable that goes from my gpu to the type four slot at the psu?

The PCIe cables for your PSU have two 6+2pin connectors on the end. For the 8pin you combine the 6+2 connector to form the 8pin. Use the 6pin portion on the other connector for the 6pin on the graphics card, leaving the +2 bit dangling.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

36 minutes ago, Macka09 said:

Anyway, the issue I’m having is that I have a 2070 gpu which has an 8 and 6 ports on the card for power. The cable from the psu occupies one type 4 slot and the end that goes to the gpu splits into two 8 ports.

Actually, they're two 6+2-pin connectors.  They act as either 6-pin or 8-pin. 

Your PSU came with two of these cables.  So you can either use two connectors on one cable or one connector each from two cables.

You shouldn't be having any issues with this unless you're over thinking things.

Thanks for your advice guys. I understand what you’re saying, but having the one cable that splits to feed both ports in the gpu looks a right mess so I’m trying to find out what sort of cable extension I require. Or whether you can get a single cable that runs from the psu to the gpu?? Cheers again guys. 

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Actually, they're two 6+2-pin connectors.  They act as either 6-pin or 8-pin. 

Your PSU came with two of these cables.  So you can either use two connectors on one cable or one connector each from two cables.

You shouldn't be having any issues with this unless you're over thinking things.

I’ve been advised that the pcie cables are only rated to carry 150w each. So if I use one cable it’s not going to handle if the gpu pulls its full 225w. So I suppose I should use both cables and just use one connection off each cable. It’ll look a bloody mess though but at least it will be able to provide 300w safely. 

7 hours ago, Macka09 said:

I’ve been advised that the pcie cables are only rated to carry 150w each. So if I use one cable it’s not going to handle if the gpu pulls its full 225w. So I suppose I should use both cables and just use one connection off each cable. It’ll look a bloody mess though but at least it will be able to provide 300w safely. 

You have been ill advised.  Don't believe everything you're told.

The TX-M modular cable uses pins on the modular side that support 9A each (9 x 12 = 432W if the cable has all four x four pins populated).

The 6-pin is made to support 75W.

The 8-pin is made to support 150W.  That's only 225W total.

Up to 75W is supplied through the PCIe slot.  That's a total of 300W.

And now, the winning number.... (drum roll please)... your card will need a maximum of 258W and that INCLUDES spikes that are < 2ms.  

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-founders-edition,5851-9.html

You can use one PCIe cable.

So. Basically what you’re saying is. If I used just one of the pcie cables off one type 4 slot, it would be sufficient in power to feed the 2070 super without putting the cable under to much load?  

Where have you found that information from? Also I’ve managed to swap my TM650X for a RM650X. I know the cables are the same but I think the RM model is a slightly better one. I still can’t find a set of black and white cable extensions in stock. 

2 hours ago, Macka09 said:

So. Basically what you’re saying is. If I used just one of the pcie cables off one type 4 slot, it would be sufficient in power to feed the 2070 super without putting the cable under to much load?  

Yep.

2 hours ago, Macka09 said:

Where have you found that information from? Also I’ve managed to swap my TM650X for a RM650X. I know the cables are the same but I think the RM model is a slightly better one. I still can’t find a set of black and white cable extensions in stock. 

About what pins are used?  I know because I work for Corsair and have the documents that specify the BOM.  :D

As far as the RMx being "better quality" than the TX-M, I wouldn't say that's entirely true.  Same topology.  Same brand caps.  Same fan.  Main difference is the RMx is fully modular and the TX-M is slightly louder because of an air gap created by the Corsair fan's round fan frame.

Oh ok then lol. Well my RM model turns up today so I’m hoping to get it all going properly. Somebody with more experience than I’ve got told me not to use the one pcie cable that splits to feed both gpu ports, because of its power requirements. I really didn’t want to fry my 2070 super that’s all. I would like some cable extensions so that it helps with the colour scheme but can’t find any at the moment. Thanks for your info.