Putting the wrong CPU in the motherboard socket (i7 6700 in 8th gen 1151)

I was instructed by an "expert" at my local tech shop to put my I7 6700 in an 8th and 9th generation CPU socket. On paper they appear to be identical (without proper research that is). I went with what they said and installed the new motherboard, then put my I7 6700 in. After completing the build I started the computer and was met with fans turning on and a light on the motherboard but nothing whatsoever appeared on the display. It was at this point that I realised I had put the CPU in the wrong socket. I took the cpu out and put the old motherboard back in. After fully installing the old motherboard I went to power it up. I have now encountered the same problem, the fans turn on but nothing appears on screen. Does this mean I have "fried" my CPU?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to lose my CPU!!

Have you tried resetting the CMOS on your 'old' 'board (precautionary)?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

A few of the pads are different between the old vs new revisions of the socket, you may have killed it and I also hope it didn't hurt the other board too.
If you happen to have another CPU of the same socket revision for the old board you can test it with that to see if it works.
If so that CPU is probrably toast. 😬

And that so-called "Expert", I'd not trust them from now on.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Have you tried resetting the CMOS on your 'old' 'board (precautionary)?

Hi, no I haven't. I'm kind of a novice with motherboards. That involves disconnecting everything then removing the battery for 5 seconds and putting everything back right?

Just now, NZFlmkr said:

Hi, no I haven't. I'm kind of a novice with motherboards. That involves disconnecting everything then removing the battery for 5 seconds and putting everything back right?

That's one way... there may be a jumper on the 'board that you can short, as the power's switched on, too

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Turn off the switch on the back of the PSU if there is one, if not disconnect 12v cpu power and 20 or 24 pin atx power cables, then set cmos jumper to clear, and push the power button a few times.. wait a minute, then move the jumper back and reconnect things..

4 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

A few of the pads are different between the old vs new revisions of the socket, you may have killed it and I also hope it didn't hurt the other board too.
If you happen to have another CPU of the same socket revision for the old board you can test it with that to see if it works.
If so that CPU is probrably toast. 😬

And that so-called "Expert", I'd not trust them from now on.

Oh no, ok. I do have another 6th gen I7. I could possibly put that in the old board. Is there any chance of damaging the second cpu if the old board has been damaged by the first cpu?

I'd still clear the CMOS before trying another CPU..

5 minutes ago, NZFlmkr said:

Oh no, ok. I do have another 6th gen I7. I could possibly put that in the old board. Is there any chance of damaging the second cpu if the old board has been damaged by the first cpu?

Chances are the board is fine, it just had a dead CPU in it if anything.
You can try it with one of the others and see what goes to determine if the other chip got knackered.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 minutes ago, si1enze said:

I'd still clear the CMOS before trying another CPU..

Ok will do👍

16 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Turn off the switch on the back of the PSU if there is one, if not disconnect 12v cpu power and 20 or 24 pin atx power cables, then set cmos jumper to clear, and push the power button a few times.. wait a minute, then move the jumper back and reconnect things..

Once unplugged, push the power button a few times first, is my understanding, as this 'flushes' the capacitors on the board, so no build up less chance of shocking the board.

Then either set CMOS by jumper or switch, or simply remove the battery for a bit and then replace it.

Thanks everyone for your help. It turns out I made a silly mistake with this mb and the new one. I forgot to connect the ATX 12V 2x4 cable. I'm glad I did  though as it ended up saving my CPU in the long run because it wasn't getting any power. I have now reconnected the cable and the computer boots properly!

2 hours ago, Dravinian said:

Once unplugged, push the power button a few times first, is my understanding, as this 'flushes' the capacitors on the board, so no build up less chance of shocking the board.

Then either set CMOS by jumper or switch, or simply remove the battery for a bit and then replace it.

Same thing.