Old audio systems sound great, but how do I hook them up to my pc

I feel like the audio industry has gone backwards when it comes to sound processing. I'd love to have something like my Yamaha CD Receiver CRX 040 hooked up to my pc. Sadly it's USB input is for usb sticks with mp3 files on them, no way to play spotify on it, or games. My Headphones sound soooo much better on them than any other audio product I've ever used. In what timeline did this become a common feature, are there any modern products with similar sound quality (for an affordable price) and what are some good deals on the used market.

I don't see any analogue input methods, so unless you open it up and hack it to add connectors, you're out of luck.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I don't see any analogue input methods, so unless you open it up and hack it to add connectors, you're out of luck.

Yes, I know, so what should I buy as a replacement. doesnt have to play cds

What you could try is to plug your PC into the system through the iPod connector, this cable is  3.5mm to female 30pin. The reviews are crap and it seems unlikely that it could work but it's worth a try.

20 minutes ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

I feel like the audio industry has gone backwards when it comes to sound processing. I'd love to have something like my Yamaha CD Receiver CRX 040 hooked up to my pc. Sadly it's USB input is for usb sticks with mp3 files on them, no way to play spotify on it, or games. My Headphones sound soooo much better on them than any other audio product I've ever used. In what timeline did this become a common feature, are there any modern products with similar sound quality (for an affordable price) and what are some good deals on the used market.

To be fair, if you're talking about headphones specifically sounding better that's likely down to the headphones amp itself.  I bought a JDS Labs ATOM for my PC and it improved the headphone quality dramatically over anything else I tried.  I also use it as a pre-amp to my main amplifier and it improved that too.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

44 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

To be fair, if you're talking about headphones specifically sounding better that's likely down to the headphones amp itself.  I bought a JDS Labs ATOM for my PC and it improved the headphone quality dramatically over anything else I tried.  I also use it as a pre-amp to my main amplifier and it improved that too.

I've had an drop CTH and an mayflower O2, neither came close, those sounded so.. boring, idk how to describe it

2 hours ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

The audio industry has advanced immensely when it comes to sound "processing"

I mean, We have Atmos, Easily accessible 5.1+ surround sound, DSP, active crossovers, room correction etc.

We have increased sound quality, just not as much as some thing's such as increased efficiency and features.

Honestly, you might just like the sound of vintage gear. Modern stuff tends to sound extremely clean/accurate most of the time.

Take a look at some Tube amplifiers. They tend to sound more like alot of vintage gear, as Tube's are pretty ancient (First crude Tubes were 1904~)

The Darkvoice 226SE is pretty damn good option (if your headphones are somewhat high impedance). Decent power/rectifier tubes and its OTL, so will sound better than any little cheap tube amplifier (Most super cheap tube amplifiers actually use the tube in the pre-amp section, not the final amplification).

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)