2070 Super. Waste of money?

coneil3822

i have recently purchased a 2070 Super and it is a card nice card but I'm looking at 1070 Ti benchmarks and it is getting similar FPS to the 2070S how is this possible? Is my card not preforming the way it should be?

2070s is around 17% faster on average. But it has support for the new NEVEC codec and hardware RT shading - which makes it a better buy

If your performance doesn't match online results for the same model of GPU, then there might be something wrong with it. But otherwise - that's just how it is.

What benchmarks are you using?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Proper benchmarks will control as many variables as possible, in order to make a fair comparison between cards. This means not installing or running any background software, other than the framerate monitoring. They will also use a very overpowered CPU, to make sure that the GPU that's being benchmarked is the bottleneck of the system. Bottom line, real usage framerates are often lower than benchmarked ones

23 minutes ago, coneil3822 said:

i have recently purchased a 2070 Super and it is a card nice card but I'm looking at 1070 Ti benchmarks and it is getting similar FPS to the 2070S how is this possible? Is my card not preforming the way it should be?

There's a 25% gap between these two cards, but you need CPU to make it happens. Low resolutions can make them perform very close too since CPU bottleneck is expected (1280x720 or some similar resolution). And, of course, some games are heavily CPU bound and GPU will never make too much difference. So it depends on what games we're talking and yeap, depending on some conditions, they will perform very close.

Or you're talking about benchmarks like 3Dmark and not gaming benchmarks?

I have a 1070 (not Ti) and 2070 (not Super) and there is a small but definite gap between them. It depends on the game and settings, that gap might not be that much.

What I have noticed is that outside of gaming performance measurement, the 2070 is noticeably better in other ways. If you use it for compute, it seems to hit about a tier above where it's gaming performance suggests compared to last gen. Also the power efficiency improvement is noticeable. And throw in RTX support, not that there is much for it, yet.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible