MINI SATA to 6 pin female adapter?

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Even if the adapter works, the laptop's power brick probably isn't powerful enough to provide power for both the laptop and the eGPU.

Guys i have a question

i have an old laptop (Toshiba satellite C670D-123)and i am about to add an EGPU. I really don’t want to plug a PSU whenever i want to play. My pc has a DvD rom that i really don’t need. I found 2 cables online. First one is to change Mini SATA to SATA and the second one is to change  SATA to 6 pin adapter ( i found both Female and male). So my question is that can i use it to power my EGPU???

@Eigenvektor

how much power do i need ?

And if i don’t have enough power in the power brick

i don’t want to use a laptop battery. Can i just add more power?

8 minutes ago, RisingDarkness said:

@Eigenvektor

how much power do i need ?

Depends on the GPU.

E.g. my RX 480 pulls upwards of 100W under full load. A quick Google search says the C670D-123 comes with either a 45, 65 or 90W power brick, depending on the exact model. So the power brick isn't even enough to comfortably power the GPU on its own.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 minutes ago, RisingDarkness said:

@Eigenvektor

To see the power of the power brick do you need to see the input or output?

Output is the important part. That's how much power it can deliver to your components, at most.

E.g. if it says 19 V and 2.37 A then it can deliver at most 19V x 2.37A = 45.03 VA (or W)

~edit: Another thing to keep in mind: Even if the power brick were powerful enough, the port the DVD-drive is attached to probably isn't designed to have 100W+ going through it, since a drive would never pull that much. So in that case you could end up frying some internal component of the notebook instead of the power supply.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply