Upgrades is it worth

Drakenthagod

Hey guys . So I have a 1060 3gb right now . My friend is selling is ROG Strix Gaming OC 1080 8GB card for like 350. Would it be worth upgrading to that? I have a i5 6600k 16gb of DDR4 ram. I am looking to play all games maxed out and achieve over 120 for my monitor . Games like Modern warfare have been giving me trouble having to lower the settings . Thanks for the help in advance

you will become CPU bottlenecked and have frame drops and stutters as a result. You should upgrade your CPU first. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

you will become CPU bottlenecked and have frame drops and stutters as a result. You should upgrade your CPU first. 

I think it's a Bottleneck in the sense that games will need more than 4 threads 

But a 6600k technically won't bottleneck a 1080

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I think it's a Bottleneck in the sense that games will need more than 4 threads 

But a 6600k technically won't bottleneck a 1080

but it will in AAA games and COD MW

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

So you don’t think it would help at all? It would just make my system worse and have frame drops I don’t have now ?

3 minutes ago, Drakenthagod said:

So you don’t think it would help at all? It would just make my system worse and have frame drops I don’t have now ?

it will help a little, but the bottleneck your CPU presents will likely cause stutters and issues. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

6 minutes ago, Drakenthagod said:

Your gonna wanna upgrade both the GPU and CPU if you wanna hit 120fps, however when it comes to COD MW upgrading your GPU should push you closer to that 120fps goal with max settings.

Okay so I might buy the 1080 now cause I feel that’s a decent deal for the card right . And then use it for now but later upgrade my CPU too. Any suggestions for a good match for that 1080

13 minutes ago, Drakenthagod said:

Okay so I might buy the 1080 now cause I feel that’s a decent deal for the card right . And then use it for now but later upgrade my CPU too. Any suggestions for a good match for that 1080

A ryzen 7 or 5

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

On 6/20/2020 at 1:44 AM, Skiiwee29 said:

it will help a little, but the bottleneck your CPU presents will likely cause stutters and issues. 

The stutters will be no worse than they are now. And issues? What issues could possibly present themselves due to a somewhat underpowered cpu paired with a strong gpu. None. In reality, upgrading your gpu would yield a massive improvement in terms of average FPS, with a hit or miss impact on 1% lows, depending on the game. Most graphics settings will not impact CPU load or will do so minimally, so upgrading will help you there. However, 120 fps may not be consistently achievable on all of your games. You'd need a 7700k for that. As somebody who owns a rig with a 6402p (basically your cpu but underclocked a bit), trust me, a 1080 will do wonders. 

But yeah, after you get that 1080, you need to get a cpu with more threads. 

Additionally, next gen GPUs are supposedly launching in 3-5 months, and if the rumors are correct, the performance improvement is going to be huge (upwards of 50%). If they hold true, then you can expect 1080s for a lot less than 350.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

On 6/20/2020 at 5:28 AM, Drakenthagod said:

Hey guys . So I have a 1060 3gb right now . My friend is selling is ROG Strix Gaming OC 1080 8GB card for like 350. Would it be worth upgrading to that? I have a i5 6600k 16gb of DDR4 ram. I am looking to play all games maxed out and achieve over 120 for my monitor . Games like Modern warfare have been giving me trouble having to lower the settings . Thanks for the help in advance

You're bottlenecking the GTX1060 already on Warzone, so you need already a new CPU. Upgrading to a new and more powerful VGA, you will need a even faster CPU. It's just the way it works. 

It will wont help you at all. It's easy to understand. Probably you're having drops from 70% to 90% of GPU usage in this game. See it for yourself using MSI AB or something. If this is true, and probably it's, upgrading VGA will better frames eventually, but the drops and stutterings will be at least the same. Maybe even worst since GPU will be starving for too much time.

Sadly 4/4 CPU is a no go for modern games, including Modern Warfare.

These videos shows the GPU usage on a very similar RIG. Sometimes it reach below 60%. It's a indicator that CPU is not enough. So a upgrade will make the low frames drops at the same level.