Is my delidded cpu damaged after delidding and would it still work

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
1 minute ago, GougedKirby522 said:

--

I'm not an expert at delidding, never bothered with it myself, but the core looks fine to me. The bare copper on the side is kinda worrisome, though. It most likely is just the ground-plane and I doubt there's any traces running so far, close to the edge on the top-layer, so it is probably still fine. Might not be a good idea to have the IHS touching that part directly, though, so maybe cover it with a layer of clear nail-polish or something similar.

Is my delidded cpu damaged after delidding and would it still work

How about posting a couple of better pictures?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

How about posting a couple of better pictures?

IMG_20200619_094748.jpg

--

I'm not an expert at delidding, never bothered with it myself, but the core looks fine to me. The bare copper on the side is kinda worrisome, though. It most likely is just the ground-plane and I doubt there's any traces running so far, close to the edge on the top-layer, so it is probably still fine. Might not be a good idea to have the IHS touching that part directly, though, so maybe cover it with a layer of clear nail-polish or something similar.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Thanks

10 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

IMG_20200619_094748.jpg

should be fine.. i don't see a point in delidding a old pentium that is Already soldered to the ihs

Just now, Fennie said:

should be fine.. i don't see a point in delidding a old pentium that is Already soldered to the ihs

lol i have an lga 775 server and i had that old celeron lying around from 04 so i decided to delid for some practice

1 minute ago, Fennie said:

Me neither, unless it's as an exercise before delidding something far more expensive. Practice never hurts, so that'd still be a valid reason.

2 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Thanks

Nail polish wont help here. you will have to apply direct heat which will probably kill it.

id say do your best to gently scrape it off with a plastic spudger or a silicone one.. and then apply thermal paste or liquid metal.

Just now, Fennie said:

Nail polish wont help here. you will have to apply direct heat which will probably kill it.

id say do your best to gently scrape it off with a plastic spudger or a silicone one.. and then apply thermal paste or liquid metal.

Scrape off the copper-layer? What are you talking about? The copper-layer is an inherent part of the damn CPU, you can't go scraping it off.

Well i did heat the cpu up with a heat gun to a high temperature to melt the solder so it could be dead also hence the burnt pcb

2 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

lol i have an lga 775 server and i had that old celeron lying around from 04 so i decided to delid for some practice

ah makes valid sense then.. it should be working. cause i tried to do this stuff myself. and i didn't fail. so good job!

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Scrape off the copper-layer? What are you talking about? The copper-layer is an inherent part of the damn CPU, you can't go scraping it off.

i meant the solder not the copper layer.

9 minutes ago, Fennie said:

i meant the solder not the copper layer.

I was talking about the exposed strip of copper on the side, where the IHS was glued to the PCB and stripped a portion of the solder-mask with it, when OP delidded the CPU.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I was talking about the exposed strip of copper on the side, where the IHS was glued to the PCB and stripped a portion of the solder-mask with it, when OP delidded the CPU.

yea it doesnt look too good...

15 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Well i did heat the cpu up with a heat gun to a high temperature to melt the solder so it could be dead also hence the burnt pcb

just try to keep your blade at the side of the ihs and Not the pcb. that exposed copper looks quite painful
Dont use super sharp objects and dont go too deep in

yea it doesnt look too good...

just try to keep your blade at the side of the ihs and Not the pcb. that exposed copper looks quite painful
Dont use super sharp objects and dont go too deep in

Okay i'll keep that in mind, i'll shut down my server for a bit and see if it works

2 hours ago, GougedKirby522 said:

The heat wont kill the cpu unless it was accessive. 

I use a soldering torch to delid processors. Been doing this as common practice since about 09.

If you ever get the itch to delid, look me up. Will be happy to give tips and tricks.