HDD Enough?

IDGamerLife

Hey there, I know this sounds like a silly question, but is 12 tb enough for gaming nowadays in the way of hdd's, one 8tb and one 4tb thanks.

G A M E R

I've made do with 512 GB for a long time (of course I couldn't keep everything installed at once...) so 12 TB is way more than enough for games. I have 1 TB now and rarely run into issues. Of course I don't play many things at the same time and download only as needed.

It really depends on the types of games you play and how many you want to be able to have installed at the same time.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

yes, but why?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

3 minutes ago, IDGamerLife said:

Thanks and also just a little worried.

I think RDR2 is one of the biggest games right now at around 150 GB. Even if your OS and other software takes 20–100 GB, you'd still be able to install more than 70 copies of that game at the same time.

Of course I'd really recommend an SSD for the faster loading speeds rather than an insane amount of storage…

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I have 2.5 TB of storage and never managed to have it all filled up. I mostly just uninstall all games that i didn't play for a while. But even a 2TB HDD can handle a serious steam library.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4TB here soon 8TB, not enough 😂

To be fair however I do try to download every game, regardless if I ever was to play it or not.

Also avoid drives that are WD Blue (5400 RPM) and Greens or anything that decides head parking is a good idea after a very short amount of time of non-use. So if the 4TB is any one of those 3 I would stick with the 8TB and leave the 4TB as a emergency backup, which you likely will not need, unless you are someone like me. While they shouldn't hinder gameplay, it's a needless action on a drive that causes additional wear and tear to save a few cents in power.

6 hours ago, IDGamerLife said:

Hey there, I know this sounds like a silly question, but is 12 tb enough for gaming nowadays in the way of hdd's, one 8tb and one 4tb thanks.

I'ts probably overkill. I have a 500GB ssd for the games I play and a 4TB for storage. 

the question is... are you a hoarder or not.. if you hoard everything, music videos in highest quality, and install all the game you have ever had, even if they don't run anymore. no size drive will help you since game sizes are progressive,  in the future you will have 5G link and games that passes 1TB.. 

But if you keep your current installed library to what you actually are using you wouldn't need a 12Tb disk.. and at that size i would not in a lifetime store anything on it i didn't have a copy of so i would set it up in a mirror. ofcourse, since over time everything fails.. in 10 years i might say something else. 

4 hours ago, Robchil said:

the question is... are you a hoarder or not.. if you hoard everything, music videos in highest quality, and install all the game you have ever had, even if they don't run anymore. no size drive will help you since game sizes are progressive,  in the future you will have 5G link and games that passes 1TB.. 

But if you keep your current installed library to what you actually are using you wouldn't need a 12Tb disk.. and at that size i would not in a lifetime store anything on it i didn't have a copy of so i would set it up in a mirror. ofcourse, since over time everything fails.. in 10 years i might say something else. 

In ten years I want you to come back to this forum and post if he needs 12 terabytes of storage or not

1 hour ago, Rylyguy said:

In ten years I want you to come back to this forum and post if he needs 12 terabytes of storage or not

haha. yeah but will the one you buy now still work in 10 years :D  you probably need it then.. as i said.. everything grows larger etc..