Ways to stop my laptop from thermal throttling

Shammikit

Hello, I have this HP Pavilion - 15-cc111tx laptop. Its got an I5-8250U processor and a 940mx GPU. The days I bought it I was able to play games like Rainbow 6 and The Crew without any lag and u barely notice the fans working. Im not sure how much the temps was but on the lowest settings, both games worked fine and I was happy with its performance. Now though, after 2 years these 2 games experience huge fps drops from 40 to something like 5 fps after playing for like 10 minutes. This happens constantly making it very unplayable. I have noticed the the CPU temps go up to around 85 and GPU goes as high as 90. I took the laptop apart and cleaned out the dust and put it back together and it still made no difference. I didnt change the thermal paste yet and its still running on whatever HP put. And the thermal paste that I have is some cheap Chinese one. It worked alright with my desktop PC but i didnt go to try it out here on the laptop. Apart from changing the thermal paste, what other solutions do I have for keeping my temps down? I think if I keep it at the bottom 80s I should be able to play without any trouble. 

Undervolting seemes to be your best bet besides re pasting. Download and run throttlestop, click on FIVR under cpu core voltage click unlock adjustable voltage, click on offset voltage then reduce it in small incriments untill you get a stable undervolt then do the same undervolt for cpu cache voltage.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

First, change the thermal paste and then look if you can see a difference. If that doesnt work, search on yt for laptop performance inprovement of something like that.

56 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

Hello, I have this HP Pavilion - 15-cc111tx laptop. Its got an I5-8250U processor and a 940mx GPU. The days I bought it I was able to play games like Rainbow 6 and The Crew without any lag and u barely notice the fans working. Im not sure how much the temps was but on the lowest settings, both games worked fine and I was happy with its performance. Now though, after 2 years these 2 games experience huge fps drops from 40 to something like 5 fps after playing for like 10 minutes. This happens constantly making it very unplayable. I have noticed the the CPU temps go up to around 85 and GPU goes as high as 90. I took the laptop apart and cleaned out the dust and put it back together and it still made no difference. I didnt change the thermal paste yet and its still running on whatever HP put. And the thermal paste that I have is some cheap Chinese one. It worked alright with my desktop PC but i didnt go to try it out here on the laptop. Apart from changing the thermal paste, what other solutions do I have for keeping my temps down? I think if I keep it at the bottom 80s I should be able to play without any trouble. 

You could try getting a laptop cooling pad

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

2 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

You could try getting a laptop cooling pad

do thy work? because all the videos I watched about them, they seem to be doing little to no difference.  It would be a blower of dust instead of a cooler. Heard those vacuum coolers are somewhat gud, however i dont think theres a way of getting one of those to work with my laptop because the air vents of this laptop is towards the screen rather than the sides.  

6 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

do thy work? because all the videos I watched about them, they seem to be doing little to no difference.  It would be a blower of dust instead of a cooler. Heard those vacuum coolers are somewhat gud, however i dont think theres a way of getting one of those to work with my laptop because the air vents of this laptop is towards the screen rather than the sides.  

Ive never really looked at whether or not they actually work tbh.

I would assume they would? It was just what popped into my head admittedly. They might be more geared towards laptops that use their housing as a heat sink.

Did you manage to find any videos that actually test using a laptop thats throttling? It might be a different story if they were testing laptops that don't have heat problems to begin with, the performance wouldn't change because the clocks would be about as high as they go to begin with.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

12 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

Don't get a laptop cooling pad its absolutely useless you can get the same effect by lifting your laptop off the table with a book on each side so try that first then try my suggestion to undervolt.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

2 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Don't get a laptop cooling pad its absolutely useless you can get the same effect by lifting your laptop off the table with a book on each side so try that first then try my suggestion to undervolt.

I already use my laptop like this with some books on the sides

1 minute ago, Shammikit said:

I already use my laptop like this with some books on the sides

So undervolting is your best bet, and repasting. Even the cheap Chinese stuff is fine.

Desktop :

Laptop :

1 minute ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

So undervolting is your best bet, and repasting. Even the cheap Chinese stuff is fine.

I'll give it a shot by repasting as a starter

Just now, Shammikit said:

I'll give it a shot by repasting as a starter

Ok cool

Desktop :

Laptop :

That’s what I would do. If those games worked before and now you see throttling, I would clean it out completely and repaste.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's