Help picking next "Audiophile" headsets.

Guest MrE

Hey guys and gals,

I am out of touch with that the world of audio can offer me at this point.
I am looking for a replacement for my current headphones which is purely used for music.

I am currently rocking a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, and I will primarily listen to electronic music so the focus on delivering good sounds for this genre is a must.

"Requirements"
Transmission: Wired.
Design: Open (preferred)
Impedance: ~100-250 ohms.
Frequency Response: ~ 5-35.000Hz.

Budget: ~€300.

I will often use an amp. so higher ohms (max ~250) is preferred.

Any headphones your would suggest? I normally use Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic, but I am up for suggestions for other brands as well.

Thanks!

Why do you need to upgrade? You have good headphones already.

I agree, but sadly they just broke not long ago and the warranty is long gone. :(

Edit: I used it heavily on a daily basis, and I have had it for several years. - No complaints :). If there are no suggestions I may just go with the same headset again, but hey, its always good to try something new.

Honestly, because you have an impedance requirement (Which is both odd and amusing) just get another pair. 

Higher impedance doesnt mean better soundquality, neither does frequency response.

Anyway to the headphones.

You should check if you can get sennheiser hd600's or even hd650's used if youre lucky.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

Maybe you can try something from AKG if you want something different?

But for the price, DT880 and DT990s are hard to top.

Two revolutionary dance tones

Frequency Response: ~ 5-35.000Hz.

This really doesn't mean anything, well it does and it doesn't but it's not that important and it shouldn't really weigh in when choosing between headphones.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Higher impedance doesnt mean better soundquality, neither does frequency response.

I never claimed this, just to be clear.

Thank you for your suggestions though, I had the HD 600 before getting the Beyers!

This really doesn't mean anything, well it does and it doesn't but it's not that important and it shouldn't really weigh in when choosing between headphones.

It was not as much the high frequency more the low I am more interested in.

I have no interest in sparking the never ending debate about frequencies or ohms, so yea I will not go any further in this.

Maybe you can try something from AKG if you want something different?

But for the price, DT880 and DT990s are hard to top.

Yea I thought so as well, but I have been living under a rock for the past year so I though things changed heh. Thanks for the input!

I think you have to try some headphones first hand. grado, akg, sony, denon, bose, shure,... it really depends what you want.

What you want? subbass? very open soundstage? closed? mids? warmth? bass and highs?

It was not as much the high frequency more the low I am more interested in.

I have no interest in sparking the never ending debate about frequencies or ohms, so yea I will not go any further in this.

I just wanted to make sure you had the right info, no debate wanted. :)

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I just wanted to make sure you had the right info, no debate wanted. :)

Ah my bad, cheers :)

I think you have to try some headphones first hand. grado, akg, sony, denon, bose, shure,... it really depends what you want.

What you want? subbass? very open soundstage? closed? mids? warmth? bass and highs?

I will definitely go try some out, just if anyone could suggest some to definitely try!

On the second half of your question, I cannot answer that well as I do not have enough knowledge of the terminology on this.

Good sub base is something I do prefer though.

Thanks!

Ah my bad, cheers :)

I will definitely go try some out, just if anyone could suggest some to definitely try!

On the second half of your question, I cannot answer that well as I do not have enough knowledge of the terminology on this.

Good sub base is something I do prefer though.

Thanks!

maybe beyer dt770

maybe beyer dt770

Noted, will see if I can try them out, thanks for the suggestion!

how are HE400's priced over in europe?

orthos offer very linear bass.

I think they are around 500 USD! :(