92mm quiet cheap fans?

CynicalTeacher

Hey guys,

Bedroom gaming rig is doing my head in with it's noise. 
It's an EATX board bodged into a cheapo Kolink midi tower running a huanazhi x79 dual socket board.
Dual E5-2667 cpus and a (now, not pictured) 1060 6gb.

Issue is the 4x 92mm fans to cool the xeons are the loudest things on the planet. I tried replacing them with Arctic F9 fans and they're no better at all.

I could look at Noctua fans, but they're £24 each which makes it over £100 in fans, which is just too much.

Any suggestions for 1800rpm 92mm silent fans (3 pin for constant max operation)?

Cheers!

104192080_299215894585794_5405389598413726412_n.jpg

You can remove two of them - that's for sure. Remove those who pull air, leave these that blow air. Temperatures remains the same.

You can also remove back fan or front fan - whatever.

It's air - it exchanges itself and you don't need to help it that much. Convection is not a myth. :)

Most important part is radiator. Since you have big double radiator on CPU, all you need is help it a little (just a little) to dissipate heat. Your GPU has radiator too with fan. And your PSU has fan. So you already have fans everywhere. Years ago we used computers with one small fan at the back and nothing wrong happens. Even Pentium IV processors still works. I don't really understand why people starts thinking that we need tornados now inside case to help air do its job.

20 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

You can remove two of them - that's for sure. Remove those who pull air, leave these that blow air. Temperatures remains the same.

You can also remove back fan or front fan - whatever.

It's air - it exchanges itself and you don't need to help it that much. Convection is not a myth. :)

Most important part is radiator. Since you have big double radiator on CPU, all you need is help it a little (just a little) to dissipate heat. Your GPU has radiator too with fan. And your PSU has fan. So you already have fans everywhere. Years ago we used computers with one small fan at the back and nothing wrong happens. Even Pentium IV processors still works. I don't really understand why people starts thinking that we need tornados now inside case to help air do its job.

While I don't have first hand experience, its a dual CPU board using relatively small fans, they are noisy in order to push enough airflow.  I'd be wary of replacing them, let alone removing any entirely.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thanks for all the replies so far gents.

@Mad153 Just ordered 2 of those fans, will test them out tomorrow as they're on prime! No harm no foul if they have to go back.

I've tried removing the 2 of the fans (one on the left side of each block) and got an increase of roughly 4 degrees on CPU 2 (closest to PSU/left ) under synthetic load, although obviously there's a margin for error here.

Would there be any benefit to going to 6 heat pipe coolers and 1 fan each over the 4 heat pipe / 2 fan ones? Obviously the set up is fairly limited for space, I have some Raijintek coolers and Scythe ones kicking around the workshop but none will fit side by side with this configuration :(

@Alex Atkin UK This is my main issue, i've got no trouble cooling them with this current setup (65c max temps under full load and they're 130w TDP processors!). Dropping to 1 fan each cooler causes the second cpu to hit 70c (because all that lovely warm air from cpu 1 is going straight into it).

4 degrees is normal when you first using cool CPU and test, and then remove two fans and test. You should wait much longer for made second test. Even one of producers that made CPU coolers with possibility to add second fan says that it will not decrease temperatures more than 1 degree. Maybe.

1 hour ago, CynicalTeacher said:

Hey guys,

Bedroom gaming rig is doing my head in with it's noise. 
It's an EATX board bodged into a cheapo Kolink midi tower running a huanazhi x79 dual socket board.
Dual E5-2667 cpus and a (now, not pictured) 1060 6gb.

Issue is the 4x 92mm fans to cool the xeons are the loudest things on the planet. I tried replacing them with Arctic F9 fans and they're no better at all.

I could look at Noctua fans, but they're £24 each which makes it over £100 in fans, which is just too much.

Any suggestions for 1800rpm 92mm silent fans (3 pin for constant max operation)?

Cheers!

104192080_299215894585794_5405389598413726412_n.jpg

Where are you getting the noctua prices from? I'm seeing them selling for £16 vat incl in the UK.

@tep Where are you looking mate? I can see the NF-B9 1600rpm ones for £15 each but the A9x14's 2200rpm ones are really pricey (Scan via ebay) @ £24 each

51 minutes ago, CynicalTeacher said:

@tep Where are you looking mate? I can see the NF-B9 1600rpm ones for £15 each but the A9x14's 2200rpm ones are really pricey (Scan via ebay) @ £24 each

quietpc has them for £16, same price for the A9 & A9x14.

9 hours ago, CynicalTeacher said:

Thanks for all the replies so far gents.

@Mad153 Just ordered 2 of those fans, will test them out tomorrow as they're on prime! No harm no foul if they have to go back.

I've tried removing the 2 of the fans (one on the left side of each block) and got an increase of roughly 4 degrees on CPU 2 (closest to PSU/left ) under synthetic load, although obviously there's a margin for error here.

Would there be any benefit to going to 6 heat pipe coolers and 1 fan each over the 4 heat pipe / 2 fan ones? Obviously the set up is fairly limited for space, I have some Raijintek coolers and Scythe ones kicking around the workshop but none will fit side by side with this configuration :(

@Alex Atkin UK This is my main issue, i've got no trouble cooling them with this current setup (65c max temps under full load and they're 130w TDP processors!). Dropping to 1 fan each cooler causes the second cpu to hit 70c (because all that lovely warm air from cpu 1 is going straight into it).

To be fair I wouldn't worry too much if that is a stress test and not something you are actually going to actively use them for.  Generally if you hit say 85C on a stress test that means you'll likely never hit it under a normal workload.

I'm struggling to cool a 9900k stock settings with a NH-D15s, when I run Folding at Home.  It idles down to 27C but under full load a single core will sometimes spike to 100C for a second unless I set an AVX offset to -2 or clock the whole chip down to 4.5Ghz, in which case its mid 80s with random spikes to 90s.  My hope is a second fan and re-applying thermal compound will even out those spikes, I'd be happy to hit 85C under AVX load though prefer <80C.

Gaming on the other hand is a none issue, hangs around 65C.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7