Does my power supply work with this motherboard I want to buy

Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,

Yes, standard power supplies (i.e. not ones you pull out of an old HP) are compatible with all standard motherboards (i.e. also not ones you pull out of an old HP).

Hi everyone, last year I got my first ever PC and now I am looking at an upgrade as I have had some issues with cooling. However aside from that I have found a motherboard in which I want to get along with a new case. The new motherboard is a ASUS ROG Strix B450-F and I was wandering if the power supply which I already own would work with it. The power supply I already have is a Corsair semi modular TX550M. I am very new to PCs so sorry if I sound like a noob. I have no idea how to tell if a power supply is compatible with a motherboard or not

Rest of specs 

AMD 2700x

ASUS TUF 1660 oc

Corsair vengeance 3200mhz RAM 

Windows 10 64bit

Gigabyte B450M (motherboard I already own and use)

Cheers George 

Yes, standard power supplies (i.e. not ones you pull out of an old HP) are compatible with all standard motherboards (i.e. also not ones you pull out of an old HP).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

15 minutes ago, TheNiceGuy66 said:

The new motherboard is a ASUS ROG Strix B450-F

Uh... Are you sure you want to upgrade to one of the lower end B450 boards? Which is especially bad considering the price.

The TXM is fine, and should be compatible

:)

34 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

What cooling issue are you hoping to solve by swapping motherboards?

Ye basically I have an issue with the amount of space inside of my case at the moment, so I thought well why not upgrade my case to a bigger one with more space and while I'm at it upgrade my motherboard aswell 

42 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Uh... Are you sure you want to upgrade to one of the lower end B450 boards? Which is especially bad considering the price.

The TXM is fine, and should be compatible

Do u recommend any other full atx boards with in the £150 price range which have an am4 socket and support gen 2 ryzen?

50 minutes ago, TheNiceGuy66 said:

Do u recommend any other full atx boards with in the £150 price range which have an am4 socket and support gen 2 ryzen?

MSI B450 Tomahawk (MAX).