Why cant my connection surpass ~150Mbps?

MKSanic

on every device i connect to the router, be it with ethernet or wifi, their download speed never goes past ~150 Mbps(Tested with https://www.speedtest.net/). Why is that so? Is it the router(RT-AC1200) or the device(tested with laptop, desktop and phone)?

Edit: ISP subscription is 1Gbps

Asus says the WAN port has 100 Mbps, so I'm surprised you're even getting 150 Mbps.

RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT for LAN x 4
USB 2.0 x 1

Or is it the RT-AC1200G, which has Gbit?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 minutes ago, MKSanic said:

RT-AC1200

That thing only has 100Mbps Ethernet-ports, it cannot do faster than that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, MKSanic said:

sorry i meant RT-AC1200G+

Does the modem have gigabit-ports or only 10/100?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Does the modem have gigabit-ports or only 10/100?

how do i tell

Just now, MKSanic said:

how do i tell

Find out the model of the modem, look up the specs on the manufacturer's website.

Just now, MKSanic said:

i found this: "RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for LAN x 4
USB 2.0 x 1"

https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/RT-AC1200G-plus/specifications/

Well, next step would be to connect your laptop directly to the modem, skipping the router, and seeing if you are getting faster speeds. If you are, then it's something wrong with the router's configuration and, if you aren't, it's most likely the modem or the ISP-facing connection itself.

Just make sure you have firewall up and running on your laptop before connecting directly to the Internet and do not click "This is a private network" when Windows asks -- Internet is a public network.

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well, next step would be to connect your laptop directly to the modem, skipping the router, and seeing if you are getting faster speeds. If you are, then it's something wrong with the router's configuration and, if you aren't, it's most likely the modem or the ISP-facing connection itself.

Just make sure you have firewall up and running on your laptop before connecting directly to the Internet and do not click "This is a private network" when Windows asks -- Internet is a public network.

my laptop says:"Unidentified network"

network adapter troubleshooter says that is does not have a valid ip configuration

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

Since the thing doesn't have its own modem and requires a modem connected via the WAN port, it will have to route the entire traffic to the separate devices, and that costs CPU performance. To your disadvantage, the router only uses a basically ancient 533 MHz MIPS32 single-core CPU, that is really slow and is most likely the culprit for the slot network speed. Does it go faster when you connect a WiFi AC device or is it the same speed? If it is the same speed then you'd need a better router.

What gets people to use really cheap, slow routers with a gigabit fiber connection is beyond me. You'll never be able to use it with this router.

ohhhh thank you. the router is the one that my isp provides.

13 minutes ago, Benji said:

Lol, since when do manufacturers provide Asus routers? What provider is that?

Also, on fiber connections, providers usually only give you the required modem (as you usually can't buy them anywhere) and let you take care of the router you want yourself.

M1

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Rawr, nice 🤣 Only fiber and 500/1000 Mbit/s. Yeah, they offer routers but apparently only "high-end" gaming-oriented routers that could actually handle the speed over WAN. Does WiFi AC also result in about 150 Mbit/s?

how do i tell

1 minute ago, Benji said:

By connecting a (preferrably dual-antenna) WiFi AC device like a laptop or a smartphone and then running the speedtest off that device.

sorry i do not have one