Mod Build Essential Tools, A Community Guide On Essential Items Needed For Custom Pc's

MzCatieB

Ok this thread is going to be a list of some of your personal essential tools used in PC modding. ranging from everything from a screwdriver to power tools.

here is a list of all my essential PC tools that i commonly use

• magnetic Screwdriver (with interchangeable tips)
  • Dremel (With all essential attachments)
  • Soldering iron kit
  • Heat gun (With different tips for different reasons)
  • Drill (With different drill bits)
  • Wire sleeving kit
  • Rivet gun
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • pliers 
  • Wire strippers
  • cutting knife
  • cutting mat
  • hole punch

most of this i have borrowed from my dad things like the heat gun, dremel and wire sleeving kit are all mine though

Character artist in the Games industry.

I can also attest to the value of a jig saw. Makes it much easier to get straight

cuts than with a dremel, and is significantly quicker. It's also a lot less expensive

in usage since a jig saw blade will last you a lot longer than a Dremel cutting

wheel (even the reinforced ones).

I still use the dremel for initial cuts and fine work of course, it's definitely not

superfluous just because I have a jig saw.

Additionally, I would recommend safety goggles, and depending on what you're working on

a breathing mask (I don't use one, but the safety goggles are an absolute must when

working with a Dremel, I've had quite a few cutting disks disintegrate and their remains

flying across the room).

Aside from that, it's advantageous to have a vacuum cleaner that can handle the dirt

produced by working on metal.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I picked up a toolkit that was designed for taking apart consoles. It has a screw driver with interchangable heads for Sony, Nintendo and Xbox products. I would definatley recommend this sort of kit to everyone. It folds up really nicely and has lots of those really weird tools you might need. Probably not for PC moding but its so damn cool.

would like to also add in,

• Rivet gun
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • pliers 
  • Wire strippers

Added to original post

also: 

• cutting knife
  • cutting mat
  • hole punch

​Added to original post 

anti static coat

ATX jumper for filling waterloops.

Anticonductive armband.

Could you put the addons up in the opening post?

Aside from that, it's advantageous to have a vacuum cleaner that can handle the dirt

produced by working on metal.

I think this the most important thing to get before any other tool.

=

I've been looking for a good set of tools for cable sleeving . Every set I've bought just suck.  This is the last set i got and its just cheap .

post-6218-0-89073100-1367684085_thumb.jp

For PCI-Express and ATX pins, use the official Molex tool (part no. 11-03-0044). link

I have that tool, and it works beautifully, worlds beyond any cheap substitute (yes, I have also

tried those :( ).

You can get them on eBay, at Lutro0's shop or at MDPC-X

Those two shops are pretty much also your best bet for other sleeving/crimping supplies.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

atleast this thread is finding its uses

Wow you really need a lot of tools if you're really into modding. Too lazy to get into modding my case though :p Only gonna do a full water cooling loop that's all. Laziness strikes again!

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

if any1 can find the items for sell on an international website (amazon, Ebay ext) please link so i can update my first post with links to the items to allow people buy them.

makes life easier for people looking around for these

Both Lutro0 and MDPC-X sell internationally, fyi. ;)

as allpenwasser said before a jigsaw is also very good becuase it is easier to cut long cuts than it is with a dremel, it also doesn't go through blades as fast as a dremel does. However it is a lot bulkier so it isn't as good for tight spots inside the case.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |