Hello everyone. 

There are so many of these threads, I hope this hasn't been asked before.

I wanted to replace my iPad + Mac - Combo with a 2 in 1 device. 

I bought the HP Spectre x360 (HP Spectre x360 13-aw0030ngi7, 1TB SSD) and was sadly disappointed. 

I am not planning on gaming, but I do some heavy multitasking (20-40 Chrome tabs, multiple ssh connections at once, multiple desktops, word and PDF, etc. most of the time all open at once).

The i7-1065G7 in the Spectre x360, seemed to not be enough for my multitasking needs. Or my spectre was faulty I don't know. I had to send it back due to super bad palm rejection and that the screen flickered randomly.

I currently have no laptop but I need one asap. (latest i can wait is first week of july)

What I need:

• Good palm rejection so I can write with the pen like on the iPad I used to have
  • Good Multitasking 
  • Light
  • 13-"14"
  • Maximum battery-life possible

The only competing 2 in 1 that seems to work really well with a pen is the Surface Book 3, but it also has the i7-1065g7 and it is super expensive...

Do you have any advice? I would love a 2 in 1 with the Ryzen 7 4800HS (or similar), but there seems to not be any....

14 minutes ago, flololan said:

Hello everyone. 

There are so many of these threads, I hope this hasn't been asked before.

I wanted to replace my iPad + Mac - Combo with a 2 in 1 device. 

I bought the HP Spectre x360 (i7, 1TB SSD) and was sadly disappointed. 

I am not planning on gaming, but I do some heavy multitasking (20-40 Chrome tabs, multiple ssh connections at once, multiple desktops, word and PDF, etc. most of the time all open at once).

The i7-1065G7 in the Spectre x360, seemed to not be enough for my multitasking needs. Or my spectre was faulty I don't know. I had to send it back due to super bad palm rejection and that the screen flickered randomly.

I currently have no laptop but I need one asap. (latest i can wait is first week of july)

What I need:

• Good palm rejection so I can write with the pen like on the iPad I used to have
  • Good Multitasking 
  • Light
  • 13-"14"
  • Maximum battery-life possible

The only competing 2 in 1 that seems to work really well with a pen is the Surface Book 3, but it also has the i7-1065g7 and it is super expensive...

Do you have any advice? I would love a 2 in 1 with the Ryzen 7 4800HS (or similar), but there seems to not be any....

I would take a look at the Dell XPS 2-1 (either the 13 or 15" model). If you do a lot of stuff at the same time, you need more memory ram. How much did your Spectre had? If 16gb, I would pack the next laptop with 32gb.

13 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I would take a look at the Dell XPS 2-1 (either the 13 or 15" model). If you do a lot of stuff at the same time, you need more memory ram. How much did your Spectre had? If 16gb, I would pack the next laptop with 32gb.

It had 16GB, I figured that would've been enough. I will look at the XPS 2-1, thanks.

So your suggestion is, more RAM, the CPU isn't the issue?

4 minutes ago, flololan said:

It had 16GB, I figured that would've been enough. I will look at the XPS 2-1, thanks.

You could test it for yourself if you still have the 2 in 1 (wasn’t clear) by seeing if it goes into swap or not.  If it eats all 16gb you need more

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You could test it for yourself if you still have the 2 in 1 (wasn’t clear) by seeing if it goes into swap or not.  If it eats all 16gb you need more

I had to send it back.

I am quite sure that the ram never went over 50% usage.

If I didn't have it in energy-saver-mode the cooling fan ramped up immediately, thus why my guess is on the cpu.

6 minutes ago, flololan said:

Maybe both, the cpu is very meh too. The cpu on the Spectre is one of those with lower TDP (15w) to consume less battery. That said, normally the problem with multitasking a lot comes at a cost of high ram usage. I just noticed that the Dell doesn't go over 16gb when configuring it. If you still had the Dell with you monitoring would be a possibility, but since that's not the case anymore, we can't tell for sure what's what.

24 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Maybe both, the cpu is very meh too. The cpu on the Spectre is one of those with lower TDP (15w) to consume less battery. That said, normally the problem with multitasking a lot comes at a cost of high ram usage. I just noticed that the Dell doesn't go over 16gb when configuring it. If you still had the Dell with you monitoring would be a possibility, but since that's not the case anymore, we can't tell for sure what's what.

I have the xps 2-in1 here in germany with 23GB RAM but it's just too expensive... 

The spectre(HP Spectre x360 13-aw0030ng) was already my limit and this is far beyond. (I got the Spectre for around 1,5k)