struggling in Ubuntu budgie (18.04.4 lts)

hello,

on my laptop i have Ubuntu budgie (18.04.4 lts) and i got the tty login screen with no gui and don't know how to fix it, keep in mind i can't login cause i don't know what my username is cause i only used mt password to login (also i try to login with ubuntu and it didn't work)

plz help if you can

Interesting. Try using a Linux live bootable medium (it could be the Ubuntu Budgie installer) to browse through your files in your hard drive. Go to /home/ and you will find a folder with the same name as your username. Use that to log in to TTY. Once you successfully log in, run:

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Then reboot and try again.

3 hours ago, HotCheeseNachozAndBurritoz said:

Interesting. Try using a Linux live bootable medium (it could be the Ubuntu Budgie installer) to browse through your files in your hard drive. Go to /home/ and you will find a friend folder with the same name as your username. Use that to log in to TTY. Once you successfully log in, run:

Then reboot and try again.

i have restarted and still have the same thing

3 hours ago, idkpc said:

i have restarted and still have the same thing

The idea is to find the name of your username using a Linux bootable medium so you can use TTY to fix the problem. Your username will typically be in the /home folder. You should have a folder in it with the same name as your username. Have you managed to log in the TTY? If so and you still have the problem, try running the following:

sudo apt purge lightdm

sudo apt install lightdm

sudo systemctl enable lightdm

and then after rebooting if you are not greeted by your login screen, run the following command:

sudo systemctl status lightdm

The idea is to reinstall and re-enable lightdm (your login screen) so that it loads in boot up if something went wrong with it.

If it works then great. If not, it might be a good idea to start a thread in the Ubuntu Budgie forums since people there will be a lot more familiar with the distro.

16 hours ago, HotCheeseNachozAndBurritoz said:

The idea is to find the name of your username using a Linux bootable medium so you can use TTY to fix the problem. Your username will typically be in the /home folder. You should have a folder in it with the same name as your username. Have you managed to log in the TTY? If so and you still have the problem, try running the following:

and then after rebooting if you are not greeted by your login screen, run the following command:

The idea is to reinstall and re-enable lightdm (your login screen) so that it loads in boot up if something went wrong with it.

If it works then great. If not, it might be a good idea to start a thread in the Ubuntu Budgie forums since people there will be a lot more familiar with the distro.

well ill try that thank you any way (also it did not work)

What model laptop, what are the specs of it? It could be a compatibility issue due to drivers.

On 6/11/2020 at 3:04 PM, Nayr438 said:

What model laptop, what are the specs of it? It could be a compatibility issue due to drivers.

well i was able to fix it just by updating for some reason but now i accidentally got rid of the start menu thing and i don't know how to get it back 

Found this command on the internet for a similar issue. Run this as a regular user ( not root. ) It might work but not garunteed to fix your issue:. Try: 

nohup budgie-panel --reset --replace &

Edited by HotCheeseNachozAndBurritoz