Help - i7 9700k hyper threading / temps

Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,
5 minutes ago, PandooZa said:

Thanks for the information! I will try that later today. 

Do you might think something could be up with my cooler? Considering I did a cleaning, and put on new thermal paste, and undust it 2 weeks ago? 

Just to make sure.. Idle temps around 25 should be fine. 100% load at 3.6GHz 65 degrees don't look that afwul either imo. 

65C sounds good, but then again, it shouldn't be running at just 3.6GHz at load. Since idle temps are normal at 25C, I doubt there's something wrong with the mount of pump not working properly.

Get back to us after you update the BIOS. Disable any auto OC the motherboard might have on, and just leave it at stock.

Normally, when you run something like Cinebench for example, you should be seeing all cores running at 4.6GHz for a little while (that's PL2, the short-term power limit, for reference that results in my 9900K pulling around 160W iirc on stock voltages, which are quite high on my board), then dropping a bit under that to maybe around 4.0-4.2GHz, to maintain the PL1 limit (which is equivalent to the advertised TDP of the CPU, so 95W in this case).

SOLVED: updated bios, turned off game boost. Now i'm running 4.6GHz at 70 degrees with 107W. 

Ever since Warzone came out I've had issues with my system. First I got all fatal errors, did a fresh windows install, and those went away. Now I got a new problem: random blue screens.

First step I did was run a Windows Memory Diagnostic. This went fine without one error.

When looking in the event manager it says I get an "event 41 kernel power" error. Looking this up it could be anything honestly... So I changed a lot of software side settings, and the BSOD were less frequent. After this I digged a bit deeper into my CPU/temps.

I did some testing, and (I think) I've found the issue. While doing a CPU-Z stress test, my CPU uses 105 watts and get's 76 degrees. When I do the stress test with Prime96 (blend or small) it fails in 3 minutes and my cpu get's around 96 degrees.

When I turned off game boost and intel hyper threading in the bios, my temps are as followed:

• CPU-Z: 45 degrees with 47 watts @ 3.6GHz

• Prime95 Small FTT: 65 degrees with 86 watts @ 3.6GHz

• Prime95 blend: 50 degrees with 54 watts

The cooler i'm using is a Corsair H100i with (fresh) cooler master paste.

The case has good airflow, since it doesn't mind if I take off the side panel or not. Also no loose cables or anything that could cover the airflow. My room temp is normal (23-26 degrees). The fans are not blocked by anything.

I will see how my system preforms with the game boost and hyper threading turned off. But still this doesn't seem to be right. A CPU should be able to get normal temp's with stock settings right? Do you guys know if there is any way to tweak my CPU (maybe if overclock it by hand?)? Or maybe you guys think that there is a different problem causing this?

Edited by PandooZa
Solved

something about the mount isn't right. you did remove any covers and tighten it down right? fan headers and pup headers are connected with the pump being set max fan speed?

Your CPU doesn't have hyperthreading to turn on

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The 9700K doesn't have hyper-threading, it's an 8C/8T chip.

What motherboard are you using, and are you running the latest BIOS? The 9700K should be running at 4.6GHz by default in games, as that's its stock all-core boost iirc. Also 105W sounds about right.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

something about the mount isn't right. you did remove any covers and tighten it down right? fan headers and pup headers are connected with the pump being set max fan speed?

Your CPU doesn't have hyperthreading to turn on

As far as I know I did tighten it correct. The same way it has always been before cleaning it. Headers are connected and at max.

What do you mean with your last sentence? 

Just now, PandooZa said:

As far as I know I did tighten it correct. The same way it has always been before cleaning it. Headers are connected and at max.

What do you mean with your last sentence? 

the 9700K doesn't support hyperthreading. the 9900k does and some other 9th gen chips do but not the 9700k

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

The 9700K doesn't have hyper-threading, it's an 8C/8T chip.

What motherboard are you using, and are you running the latest BIOS? The 9700K should be running at 4.6GHz by default in games, as that's its stock all-core boost iirc. Also 105W sounds about right.

Might it be "Game Boost" instead of hyper-threading? 

I'm using a MSI z390 gaming pro carbon. I thought I did update the BIOS, but now that I had another look, it's not. 

105W is also correct for that amount of heat?

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

the 9700K doesn't support hyperthreading. the 9900k does and some other 9th gen chips do but not the 9700k

Ah okay sorry! I might mean the "Game boost" function in my motherboard bios. 

1 minute ago, PandooZa said:

Might it be "Game Boost" instead of hyper-threading? 

I'm using a MSI z390 gaming pro carbon. I thought I did update the BIOS, but now that I had another look, it's not. 

105W is also correct for that amount of heat?

Yeah you might've mistaken it for that. I'd suggest turning it off, as auto overclocking on most motherboards results in lots of unnecessary voltage to the CPU and heat output.

I'd suggest updating it. I was also not getting correct turbo boost behaviour on an early BIOS on my Z390 board, but then it worked as it should with a BIOS update. Granted I'm not using the same board as yours but still it's always recommended to update the BIOS.

105W sounds reasonable for a 9700K at the stock 4.6GHz all-core boost. I'd suggest disabling AVX in Prime95 in order to get a more realistic (but still not very much so) idea of 100% load temperatures. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Yeah you might've mistaken it for that. I'd suggest turning it off, as auto overclocking on most motherboards results in lots of unnecessary voltage to the CPU and heat output.

I'd suggest updating it. I was also not getting correct turbo boost behaviour on an early BIOS on my Z390 board, but then it worked as it should with a BIOS update. Granted I'm not using the same board as yours but still it's always recommended to update the BIOS.

105W sounds reasonable for a 9700K at the stock 4.6GHz all-core boost. I'd suggest disabling AVX in Prime95 in order to get a more realistic (but still not very much so) idea of 100% load temperatures. 

Do you might think something could be up with my cooler? Considering I did a cleaning, and put on new thermal paste, and undust it 2 weeks ago? 

Just to make sure.. Idle temps around 25 should be fine. 100% load at 3.6GHz 65 degrees don't look that afwul either imo. 

The temps are fine. The only reason "Game Boost" (like most other Auto OC Features like MCE from Asus) overheats is that is applies way too much voltage to "Auto OC" your CPU. Disable that and you'll be fine. They use such high voltages because they have to account for the worst binned Chips. If you really want to get more performance without these extreme temps you'll have to OC yourself and learn how to do it.

Edit: Typos

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, PandooZa said:

65C sounds good, but then again, it shouldn't be running at just 3.6GHz at load. Since idle temps are normal at 25C, I doubt there's something wrong with the mount of pump not working properly.

Get back to us after you update the BIOS. Disable any auto OC the motherboard might have on, and just leave it at stock.

Normally, when you run something like Cinebench for example, you should be seeing all cores running at 4.6GHz for a little while (that's PL2, the short-term power limit, for reference that results in my 9900K pulling around 160W iirc on stock voltages, which are quite high on my board), then dropping a bit under that to maybe around 4.0-4.2GHz, to maintain the PL1 limit (which is equivalent to the advertised TDP of the CPU, so 95W in this case).

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I will! Thanks for the tips. 

47 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I've updated the bios. Turned off Game boost, but left on intel turbo boost (as a test). In Prime95 with a Blend test it gets between 70 - 75 degrees (4.6GHz), with 107W. 

This should be fine right? 

I've updated the bios. Turned off Game boost, but left on intel turbo boost (as a test). In Prime95 with a Blend test it gets between 70 - 75 degrees (4.6GHz), with 107W. 

This should be fine right? 

Yeah that sounds good.

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah that sounds good.

Sweet, thanks for helping me out! 

Sweet, thanks for helping me out! 

No problem mate, glad I could help.