New build, won't power on at all even outside case

Hi there! 

I'm new to the forum, but have searched through the troubleshooting section and haven't found something that will resolve my issue. I've just finished my first build, hit the power on button and nothing happened. Nothing to display, no case or CPU cooler fan spinning, no sounds or beeps, nothing!

Configuration (all bought new, apart from GPU):

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Mobo: MSI B450M PRO VDH-MAX

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 950 2GB

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S 500W 80+

SSD: Curcial MX500 

Troubleshooting steps:

- Disconnected all cables and reconnected, no change

- Disconnected front panel connectors and tried to turn on by shorting the power + and - with screwdriver, no change

- Disconnected all power connectors and used the paperclip trick in the 24pin connector, the PSU did turn on and it's fan started wiring, so I'm inclined to believe the PSU is working.

- Disconnected everything apart from the CPU and cooler, removed the mobo from the case, reconnected the 24 pin mobo connector and 8 pin CPU connector and tried to turn on with screwdriver in FP connectors. Still nothing - the CPU cooler fan did not move at all.

So since the PSU seems to be working and, even when stripping down to just CPU, it wouldn't turn on, I'm inclined to believe it's most likely a problem with the motherboard, and then, if not, the CPU. During the build, I did have some difficulty with installing the stock Wraith cooler and at one point, the CPU came clean out of the socket attached to the cooler with the thermal pad. But, as I said, it came clean out and I had a good look at the bottom and no pins seemed bent and I was able to reinstall it easily. To get the cooler screwed in, I had to use a bit more force than I was comfortable with, but the motherboard didn't appear to bend or warp much at all. Also, as a side note, I was careful with ESD and wore a wrist strap throughout. No component was dropped, or no screwdriver through the mobo etc etc.

Are there any additional troubleshooting steps anyone can suggest, or any alternative diagnosis? I have no other parts at all to try and test with, and currently I'm thinking that the mobo was DOA and will request a refund.

Thanks in advance!

20 minutes ago, Stedsco said:

currently I'm thinking that the mobo was DOA and will request a refund.

While you're at it, return the psu too.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

Yeah, it kinda sounds like the motherboard is dead. If you checked the psu and it's working and you're sure you tried to power on the motherboard correctly (shorted the correct pins/connected the front panel button to the correct pins) it sounds like the motherboard is dead.

When you try to short the pins do you hear the click of the pins shorting? It is a faint click but it can most of the time be heard if you are looking for it. Also I believe this mobo comes with debug lights are any of them on?

49 minutes ago, Ralf said:

While you're at it, return the psu too.

Is that because you think there might be a problem, or because you think it's not a good PSU?

16 minutes ago, SorysRgee said:

When you try to short the pins do you hear the click of the pins shorting? It is a faint click but it can most of the time be heard if you are looking for it. Also I believe this mobo comes with debug lights are any of them on?

I hear absolutely nothing, no matter how much I try or using a different screwdriver/other metallic objects. I hadn't actually realised the mobo came with debug lights! But, nope, none of them are on. I suppose that lends itself to the motherboard being the issue?

42 minutes ago, Stedsco said:

I hear absolutely nothing, no matter how much I try or using a different screwdriver/other metallic objects. I hadn't actually realised the mobo came with debug lights! But, nope, none of them are on. I suppose that lends itself to the motherboard being the issue?

Hmmm it does definitely seem like it could a mobo issue however if you have another psu on hand i would recommend testing that as well just in case but I am definitely lending more towards a mobo doa

58 minutes ago, SorysRgee said:

Hmmm it does definitely seem like it could a mobo issue however if you have another psu on hand i would recommend testing that as well just in case but I am definitely lending more towards a mobo doa

Alas, I have no other PSU on hand to test with. But since it passed the paper-clip test, there's at least more evidence it's working than the mobo. I think I'll assume it's a mobo problem and initiate a return, unless there's any other diagnostic test you can suggest? Thanks for your help so far!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 2:47 AM, Stedsco said:

Alas, I have no other PSU on hand to test with. But since it passed the paper-clip test, there's at least more evidence it's working than the mobo. I think I'll assume it's a mobo problem and initiate a return, unless there's any other diagnostic test you can suggest? Thanks for your help so far!

Sorry for the delayed response sadly there is no other diagnostic tests i can think off hope you had luck returning the mobo