Upgraded gtx 750 to msi gtx 1070 in ASUS g20aj-problems

JAMES LOWE

Ok, so i have an ASUS g20aj and I upgraded the graphics card. I went from the stock GTX -750 to a MSI 1070 aero so i could play COD Modern Warfare. I had a lot of stuttering and lag. I searched the web, found a fix and it helped with the problem a little. found another website and it got real good. It still stuttered a little bit but very playable. Now the GTX 750 ran GTX 5 perfectly but with the new card it stutters and lags. WTF I'm at a loss, and when I exit the game it take forever  to log out. the ending picture stays on the screen. My g20aj has an i-4460 and I worried about it bottle necking as i read in another post. Any help to figure this will be much appreciated.

ps sorry about the typing I have nerve Damage in my hands. lol.....

Your CPU is a big bottleneck on your GPU in your setup. This is likely your cause of issue. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Not enough PSU, not enough cooling, combo of both.

CPU is fine for the 1070.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Not enough PSU, not enough cooling, combo of both.

CPU is fine for the 1070.

and old, weak i5 like the 4460 is NOT a fine CPU for a 1070.. hell, I had bottlenecks with my i5 4690k overclocked to 4.7ghz with a 1070, so I know for a fact that a 4460 is not a fine CPU for that GPU. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Bottlenecking might be a problem, but I doubt that it would be in a range, that you’d easily see.

Like maybe your GPU could render 100 FPS in GTA V but your CPU can only deliver enough data for 60. Then you are still getting 60 FPS, which usually is enough. (In newer titles the i5-4460 might suffer a bit though)

Some things you could try:

• installing the newest driver
  • check whether you plugged your monitor into your Graphics card (opposed to your onbord GPU)
  • download HWinfo and see how your card behaves in game (There are limits set in HW info, for example the power limit, which will trigger when the card draws the amount of power it is allowed to. It could theoretically go faster, but is not allowed to by the driver. Or the Temperature limit, which is selfexplanitory)
  • Tell us the rest of your set up

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

and old, weak i5 like the 4460 is NOT a fine CPU for a 1070.. hell, I had bottlenecks with my i5 4690k overclocked to 4.7ghz with a 1070, so I know for a fact that a 4460 is not a fine CPU for that GPU. 

I had a 1070 in a E3-1220 rig, it worked fine.  Bottlenecks do not result in what is being mentioned in this thread.

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

It is not fine for the GPU as in, in certain games, it will not deliver enough performance to fully utilize the GPU. But it will usually deliver very playable performance.
It did so with the GTX 750 als well, so that won't change.

Something will always limit your performance (otherwise you'd have a turing machine), the question is, whether you are happy with the perfomrnace you got or not.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

I had a 1070 in a E3-1220 rig, it worked fine.  Bottlenecks do not result in what is being mentioned in this thread.

stuttering and lagging is most certainly what is being mentioned which is 100% going to be caused by a CPU bottleneck in this case since it happens in games that are known to be heavily CPU bound like Call of Duty and GTA5. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

22 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

stuttering and lagging is most certainly what is being mentioned which is 100% going to be caused by a CPU bottleneck in this case since it happens in games that are known to be heavily CPU bound like Call of Duty and GTA5. 

I do not have those problems in either game with that CPU.  If that was the initial problem, stuttering would be present on both GPUs.

Ive played GTA V on CPUs as old as Xeon E5440s, if you dont go overboard on vegitation or pop density pretty much anything can run that game fairly well.