CPU stuck at max frequency.

Go to solution Solved by Pachuca,
4 hours ago, Light034 said:

It's already on balanced.

It's possible the bios update changed some of your default settings. I don't remember the exact setting, but there is a bios option that basically makes the cpu run at full even if it's idle. It has to do with intel's P-state and C-state settings. You'll have to search through the bios to find it and change it.

Ok so this is a weird thing that's been happening for some days now, the thing is that my CPU for some weird reason always stays at max turbo frequency, this would not be big of a deal if it weren't by the fact that I already have to pay a massive electricity bill just for playing 4-6 hours a day all days, I've looked everywhere in the web to see why this was happening and most of the solutions didn't help.

I already booted into safe mode and in safe mode it still keeps at it's max frequency, even in BIOS it shows me that the CPU is stuck at max frequency. I tried enabling all C states on the CPU and disabling them but nothing seems to work, I'm just out of ideas on what could be happening with this.

Here is some information regarding my system :

CPU: I5-8400 2.8Ghz. 3.8Ghz max turbo

GPU: RX 580 8GB

RAM: flashy 16GB Corsair modules

MB: Gigabyte B360M DS3H (rev. 1.0)

BIOS: F15

Also this started happening since I updated my BIOS to F15 (I had F5 before) and for some stupid reason the BIOS had an option turned on by default to install some Gigabyte programs by default, one of them was EasyTune and that program allows to change the CPU settings directly on Windows (Thing that I'm not comfortable of doing). After uninstalling those annoying programs I realized that the frequency got stuck.

I don't know what to do at this point, it might be a setting on the BIOS but since I don't have unlocked CPU and MB I'm not able to tweak a lot of things.

If anyone has any idea for stupid that it might be please let me know.

image.thumb.png.5f96443197658b7a0f61f75a691e05ae.png

I use arch btw:)

Change the power plan from high performance to balanced.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

@Light034 - An Intel CPU is not designed to slow down if it has something to do.  Check out your Task Manager Utilization data. There is a significant load on your CPU. It is definitely not idle. Maybe your NZXT monitoring software is loading your CPU way more than it should be. Click on the Details tab of the Task Manager and organize the running tasks by CPU usage. There must be something running on your computer, loading your CPU.

Here is a 60 second scan on my laptop when it is idle with nothing open.

Idle CPU Utilization should look like the EKG of a dead man.

yH7gk6U.png

4 hours ago, Light034 said:

It's possible the bios update changed some of your default settings. I don't remember the exact setting, but there is a bios option that basically makes the cpu run at full even if it's idle. It has to do with intel's P-state and C-state settings. You'll have to search through the bios to find it and change it.

12 hours ago, Pachuca said:

Thank you! I don't know what I changed on the BIOS but it just fixed itself after a restart.

I suspect that the issue was that it had internal graphics enabled and somehow that made the CPU to stay at max clock speed, I also changed some other settings on the BIOS from Auto to Enabled so I'm not completely sure what was the issue.

In conclusion, updating the BIOS is a nightmare. image.thumb.png.d9d097cc4420ab3d7d006a22077c82a0.png

• 2 years later...

What did you exactly change?
Because I'm having the same issue. I recently updated the BIOS on my B550M-A (Wifi) Mobo and it does the same thing.
My CPU is stuck at 4.3 Ghz, even though it's not doing anything. Idk about power consumption ... I haven't gotten the electric bill yet ... but it's heating up my Nvme SSD, which is close to it. I'm more worried that over time, it's going to cause some permanent damage to the CPU itself ...

38 minutes ago, GruiaL said:

What did you exactly change?
Because I'm having the same issue. I recently updated the BIOS on my B550M-A (Wifi) Mobo and it does the same thing.
My CPU is stuck at 4.3 Ghz, even though it's not doing anything. Idk about power consumption ... I haven't gotten the electric bill yet ... but it's heating up my Nvme SSD, which is close to it. I'm more worried that over time, it's going to cause some permanent damage to the CPU itself ...

find the setting c-states and set to enable/auto.