Help! I think my pc is dead.

Hi, im having an issue with my pc. the lights turn on to indicate power but upon pressing the power button, nothing happens. my board is an Asus P8 Z77-V LX, cpu is an Intel Core I5-3570K, Ram is Corsair vengeance ddr3, power supply is now an aerocool integrator 600w. any help will be appreciated. the story of what happened is below.

So the other day i ordered a palit gtx 1070 jetstream and made the mistake of using a molex to 8-pin pcie adaptor to power it from my budget power supply (CiT 500-CB).

i realised that upon opening games, the gpu would lose power and turn the pc off. it would restart showing me the message "Asus Anti-Surge Protection activated" or something along those lines.

i proceeded to boot into windows, open msi afterburner, and reduce the power limit to 70% which meant the gpu would only pull 130 watts which is the max wattage i found online that could be drawn through molex on a 12 volt rail.

what i didnt think about was how cheap my power supply was and when i opened up fortnite to play with my brother the pc turned off. i went to power on after removing the gpu and decided id wait till i get a new power supply before i use it with the gpu and pressed the power button. this time nothing happened. i decided to wait a few minutes before trying again only to hear a pop come from the power supply. i swiftly turned off the power from the wall (which was surge protected) and removed the power supply. today, i bought a new power supply off my friend that i know works and went to put it in my system to find that all the power LEDs are on but when i press the power button nothing happens. Thankyou in advace.

That PSU is likely JUNK. It's not even Bronze rated even though claiming 85% efficient. 

Try a different PSU before assuming other parts of this build. 

If the fans/lights don't come on when you press the power, then as far as the MB is concerned, the PSU is not plugged in, or the MB is dead. If the lights come on when the power is pressed, but doesn't POST, then the MB or CPU is dead. Or possibly you wiped the BIOS out.

ShimpBrime. the power supply is from the same manufacturer as my case. i know its a trusted brand, my friend had no issues before me. it says 80 plus bronze on the side. my old psu however is junk but either way, the motherboard seems to be receiving power from the new one as it wasnt with the old one.

Just now, Kidd Solaa said:

ShimpBrime. the power supply is from the same manufacturer as my case. i know its a trusted brand, my friend had no issues before me. it says 80 plus bronze on the side. my old psu however is junk but either way, the motherboard seems to be receiving power from the new one as it wasnt with the old one.

I read some review. https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/aerocool-integrator-600-watt-psu-review/

Never heard of this brand being "trusted", don't really know many overclockers (competitively) that would or have used this PSU to call it any good. I wouldn't trust it. Most cases built with a PSU included are on the super cheap end with low level hardware.

Try a different PSU first. Pull one out of a working rig from a friend or family member. 500w would be enough to post the rig up once for testing. 

This is my opinion on what little research I've just done.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

If the fans/lights don't come on when you press the power, then as far as the MB is concerned, the PSU is not plugged in, or the MB is dead. If the lights come on when the power is pressed, but doesn't POST, then the MB or CPU is dead. Or possibly you wiped the BIOS out.

the lights on the motherboard come on fine. i doubt its the cpu. is there a way to check? psu is definitly in as im getting lights. any other suggestions? 

ive tried 2 power supplies now. the old one and my new one which was brand new about half an hour ago.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I read some review. https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/aerocool-integrator-600-watt-psu-review/

Never heard of this brand being "trusted", don't really know many overclockers (competitively) that would or have used this PSU to call it any good. I wouldn't trust it. Most cases built with a PSU included are on the super cheap end with low level hardware.

Try a different PSU first. Pull one out of a working rig from a friend or family member. 500w would be enough to post the rig up once for testing. 

This is my opinion on what little research I've just done.

ive tried 2 power supplies now. the old one and my new one which was brand new about half an hour ago.

Ok, I read waiting for a PSU, I misunderstood that you've tried it.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Ok, I read waiting for a PSU, I misunderstood that you've tried it.

thats okay. is there anything else i can try?

1 minute ago, Kidd Solaa said:

thats okay. is there anything else i can try?

Have you tried to clear the cmos?

7 minutes ago, Kidd Solaa said:

the lights on the motherboard come on fine. i doubt its the cpu. is there a way to check? psu is definitly in as im getting lights. any other suggestions? 

The LED's or beeps (you may need to have a speaker connected) tell you what the problem is.

If the LED's don't indicate an error, then you'll need to try another GPU.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The LED's or beeps (you may need to have a speaker connected) tell you what the problem is.

Beep codes help!! 

Can find them here.

Just now, Kisai said:

i dont have a bios speaker to test it with and i have tested with and without a gpu

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Beep codes help!! 

Can find them here.

i dont have a bios beep speaker :/

jaguarskx:
"When a PSU dies it can potentially send an electrical surge to all your components which can effectively destroy every single component in the worst possible situation.

High quality PSU generally have lower risk of the worst possible situation."

That was from tom's hardware.

But motherboard is first in line to check.
I would test other components: gpu, hard drives etc. in other pc if possible.

6 minutes ago, kamiraasu said:

jaguarskx:
"When a PSU dies it can potentially send an electrical surge to all your components which can effectively destroy every single component in the worst possible situation.

High quality PSU generally have lower risk of the worst possible situation."

That was from tom's hardware.

But motherboard is first in line to check.
I would test other components: gpu, hard drives etc. in other pc if possible.

ive tested hard drives, theyre fine. gpu isnt a concern right now and is too big for any other pc in the house. its just cpu and motherboard that are plugged in and that i am trying. i cant afford another mb so any help will be great

27 minutes ago, Kidd Solaa said:

i dont have a bios beep speaker :/

I get mine from here. Ebay Link

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I get mine from here. Ebay Link

i dont really have time or money for new stuff like that. i need this pc running asap and if that means buying a new motherboard then im gonna need every penny :(

i dont really have time or money for new stuff like that. i need this pc running asap and if that means buying a new motherboard then im gonna need every penny :(

That's 5 little speakers for under 8 dollars from florida. The sub 3$ one is from China and you'll wait forever. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That's 5 little speakers for under 8 dollars from florida. The sub 3$ one is from China and you'll wait forever. 

i live in the uk :/ i can look online for some but i cant wait for long

i live in the uk :/ i can look online for some but i cant wait for long

Ah yes. Look around the house for an old Dell or HP. Or someone you know that has an older system might just have one you could "borrow" for diagnostic purposes.

Or the easier route, get another board..... without actually knowing what the issue could possibly be. It would be disappointing to suggest to throw money at the parts without some kind of diagnostics first.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ah yes. Look around the house for an old Dell or HP. Or someone you know that has an older system might just have one you could "borrow" for diagnostic purposes.

Or the easier route, get another board..... without actually knowing what the issue could possibly be. It would be disappointing to suggest to throw money at the parts without some kind of diagnostics first.

im debating a new board but worried if its the cpu. i have had a dead cpu before but im certain its the motherboard because when i did have a dead cpu the fans would spin. in my case the fans are not spinning at all which probably means its the motherboard. my only concern is... what if the cpu died allong with the motherboard.

im debating a new board but worried if its the cpu. i have had a dead cpu before but im certain its the motherboard because when i did have a dead cpu the fans would spin. in my case the fans are not spinning at all which probably means its the motherboard. my only concern is... what if the cpu died allong with the motherboard.

That's what I mean. What if it IS the cpu. .... It Could be anything. But that's the purpose of the beeps.

Why I made a list. Why it's been stickied. Some manuals have the beep code list included. Some don't 

Up to you the choices are ranging. Does someone have the same platform? Can you borrow a cpu?

Lastly, you didn't answer the question if you have cleared the cmos one good time or not.......

Remove power cable from psu, switch off psu. Hit power button on board, drains the caps. Remove cmos batter and jumper the clear cmos pins for 10 minutes. Timer up, reverse the process here and try to boot. (curious if this would work if not tried already)

Is it possible while you were working on the computer you accidentally disconnected your front panel connectors?

(just a wild guess)

Ryzen 7 5800x, eVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC 8GB, Kingston Fury 32GB 3200 MHz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB M.2, 3X Seagate 1TB HDD 7200Rpm, 2TB Seagate HDD, Cooler Master V 750W 80PLUS Gold Full Modular Power Supply, CoolerMaster N200

2 minutes ago, rmnsachy said:

Is it possible while you were working on the computer you accidentally disconnected your front panel connectors?

(just a wild guess)

ive thought of that but im sure its in the right place. ill check online to make sure i have the connector in the right pins now.