1650 LP with 260W

penguin8967

I've done some looking around on YouTube and the internet, and it looks like many people have put a GTX 1650 low profile in with a smaller PSU like 240W etc.

Would it be safe to do this, and should I do this with my prebuilt, or should I stick safe and go with a 1030 instead.

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

Intel i5-9500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1x 120mm Fan.

Upgrading soon to an ITX GTX 1650 (4GB).

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

8 minutes ago, penguin8967 said:

I've done some looking around on YouTube and the internet, and it looks like many people have put a GTX 1650 low profile in with a smaller PSU like 240W etc.

Would it be safe to do this, and should I do this with my prebuilt, or should I stick safe and go with a 1030 instead.

I'm not sure its enough. The 1650 isn't great value either, and the 1030 is a really terrible card. If you can spare the extra, I would get an entry level psu, maybe ~$50-60, then buy a new or used RX570, or even a used RX580. This will give you far superior performance and, if you get a decent psu, the chance to upgrade in the future.

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

I notice LP.  If the case is LP the highest power card currently made afaik is a 1650.  It draws power off the motherboard so it’s no more than 75w.  Depending on what else you have drawing power from the PSU (what cpu and is it OC?) it could work.  My memory is that the 1030 doesn’t actually draw that much less power than the 1650.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I notice LP.  If the case is LP the highest power card currently made afaik is a 1650.  It draws power off the motherboard so it’s no more than 75w.  Depending on what else you have drawing power from the PSU (what cpu and is it OC?) it could work.  My memory is that the 1030 doesn’t actually draw that much less power than the 1650.

The 1650's TDP is 75W, but the 1030 is only 30W actually.

My CPU's TDP is 65W and not OC'ed, the case itself isn't LP, but I know for a fact that it's slightly shorter than standard tower cases. I have no HDD in the PC.

Would this be a good idea or not? Also, should I limit the power of the 1650 if I did get one (would it make much difference in performance)?

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

Intel i5-9500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1x 120mm Fan.

Upgrading soon to an ITX GTX 1650 (4GB).

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧