Upgrade Lenovo Thinkpad t500

Go to solution Solved by YellowJersey,

I have an old T500. A wonderful machine. Mine's currently living out its days working on F@H.

If you're looking to upgrade a part, I'd probably say "don't bother." It'd make more sense to spend the money on something newer.

I got myself a refurb T450 last year to replace my T500. It was $320 CAD on Newegg at the time, though it'd probably run you more these days due to covid and everyone needed to work from home. I just popped an SSD and an extra stick of ram in and it was away to the races. The speakers aren't as nice nor is the screen, but for the price, I can't complain. I have to say, the T500's speakers are among the best laptop speakers I've ever had.

It has

4gigs of ram

Intel core 2 duo p8600

and the default screen

and bassicly thats all i would like to upgrade.

I know with that processor 4gigs of ram are the max but if i could upgrade the processor i probably could also upgrade the ram

does anyone know if something like upgrading the cpu would make sense if it is possible

2 minutes ago, Janik0000 said:

does anyone know if something like upgrading the cpu would make sense if it is possible

It does seem possible (this) but it probably isnt worth it. You could most likely find a decent used laptop for a bit more than the cost of the cpu.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

I have an old T500. A wonderful machine. Mine's currently living out its days working on F@H.

If you're looking to upgrade a part, I'd probably say "don't bother." It'd make more sense to spend the money on something newer.

I got myself a refurb T450 last year to replace my T500. It was $320 CAD on Newegg at the time, though it'd probably run you more these days due to covid and everyone needed to work from home. I just popped an SSD and an extra stick of ram in and it was away to the races. The speakers aren't as nice nor is the screen, but for the price, I can't complain. I have to say, the T500's speakers are among the best laptop speakers I've ever had.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

On 6/5/2020 at 8:39 AM, YellowJersey said:

Okay that makes sense i think im going with either an t440p or t480 but thanks for all the advice!