Less frame rate with better card?

x9x9x9x9x9

This might be a dumb question or the wrong spot to ask but I just swapped from an rx580 to a rtx2070 super and I thought it would be funny to see what FPS I got in "Golf With Your Friends" as I was getting like 500-700 with the rx580. I was surprised to see I am only getting like 300-400 fps with the 2070 super. Obviously this does not matter in the least for a game like this or really any game but I am curious why this is the case and if there is some setting I missed in the cards software.

Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, x9x9x9x9x9 said:

This might be a dumb question or the wrong spot to ask but I just swapped from an rx580 to a rtx2070 super and I thought it would be funny to see what FPS I got in "Golf With Your Friends" as I was getting like 500-700 with the rx580. I was surprised to see I am only getting like 300-400 fps with the 2070 super. Obviously this does not matter in the least for a game like this or really any game but I am curious why this is the case and if there is some setting I missed in the cards software.

Thanks! 

I'm not sure what could be happening but is it possible the visual setting reverted to ultra or high when they were originally on low after the gpu upgrade

In the Nvidia control panel there's an option that "limits" how much the GPU will work for applications that don't need it to save energy, maybe it's because of that option, try changing the "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance" to see if it change anything, other option that might help is the "Low Latency Mode".

If this changes it, then the answer is that the GPU decided that to save energy it wouldn't work as hard as it could, if it doesn't bother you can change it back to default to possibly save some power.

What processor do you have currently? I dont know much about bottle necking but its totally possible for a 2070 super to bottleneck, you also switched from a radeon to a geforce graphics card so make sure you downloaded the latest drivers for your 2070 super

2 hours ago, Henryjames989 said:

What processor do you have currently? I dont know much about bottle necking but its totally possible for a 2070 super to bottleneck, you also switched from a radeon to a geforce graphics card so make sure you downloaded the latest drivers for your 2070 super

R7 3700x. I made sure to get the drivers. I guess thats possible for bottlenecking to work like that.

3 hours ago, Carz728 said:

I'm not sure what could be happening but is it possible the visual setting reverted to ultra or high when they were originally on low after the gpu upgrade

On the rx580 I believe I was running at ultra but it is possible I didn't save those settings. I will double check and see what the settings are at now

2 hours ago, KaitouX said:

In the Nvidia control panel there's an option that "limits" how much the GPU will work for applications that don't need it to save energy, maybe it's because of that option, try changing the "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance" to see if it change anything, other option that might help is the "Low Latency Mode".

If this changes it, then the answer is that the GPU decided that to save energy it wouldn't work as hard as it could, if it doesn't bother you can change it back to default to possibly save some power.

Just changed all that but it didn't change. I did just set all the in game settings to low just to see what would happen and it only increased by about 50fps. So I am guessing this is something in the nvidia stuff. This is such a non-issue though that I am not worried about it it was just a curiosity.