Which OS should I install?

TheGreenBeam

Hello Laddles and Jellyspoons,

I have an old pc that's been lying in the garage gathering dust. One of my friends told me I will be able to resurrect it if I install Linux on it. 

I have seen that there are many distros of linux, and I'm confused about which one should I install. I've never worked with linux before, and  I just plan on to browse the web and edit documents at the most. 

Specs:

Intel Pentium E6700 @ 3.20G

4 GB DDR 2 ram

320 Gb hdd 

Any help is much appreciated. 

TheGreenBeam

Personally I like Ubuntu MATE for low power PCs.

i'm sure you will get many recommendations, my advice is read up about the different Distros you are recommended and see which you feel would suite you best.  

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

You probably won't be able to run windows smoothly on that system, getting a light weight distro of linux like Linux Mint would probably be your best bet

Ubuntu is great for beginners

Pop OS is Ubuntu for gamers

Mint looks more like windows out of the box but can be harder for beginners since it uses an Arch base (edit: this is wrong, see @Eigenvektor bellow.)

Plane old Debian is a fun starting point if your not afraid to get your hands dirty

I like Sparky, super light Debian distro

good luck :) 

(Edit: @GOTSpectrum probably has the best advise so far)

5 minutes ago, CWALD said:

Mint looks more like windows out of the box but can be harder for beginners since it uses an Arch base

Nope. It's based on Ubuntu. There's also LMDE, which is based on Debian directly.

Are you referring to this April Fool's joke? https://itsfoss.com/linux-mint-arch/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Nope. It's based on Ubuntu. There's also LMDE, which is based on Debian directly.

Are you referring to this April Fool's joke? https://itsfoss.com/linux-mint-arch/

Wow, I have been thinking its Arch base for years now. Guess I learned something new. Have to go try it out again now. Thanks.

52 minutes ago, TheGreenBeam said:

I have an old pc that's been lying in the garage gathering dust. One of my friends told me I will be able to resurrect it if I install Linux on it. 

I have seen that there are many distros of linux, and I'm confused about which one should I install. I've never worked with linux before, and  I just plan on to browse the web and edit documents at the most. 

Specs:

4 GB DDR 2 ram

320 Gb hdd 

TheGreenBeam

I set up Ubuntu for my F@H machine as my first experience with Linux. You'll have to Google a number of things if you've never used Linux before, but there is so much good reference information out there to be found. It took me about and hour to get up and running and figure out how the OS worked for basic functionality. From there it was tinkering around and more just learning, but for web browsing and other basics it was really straight forward.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Greatly appreciate your help guys, thank you! I think I will go with Linux mint. It looks a lot like windows, and I believe I will be able to adjust to it quite easily. Hopefully, I will be able to have it up and running during the weekend. 

Aloha! Have a great day!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 11:14 PM, TheGreenBeam said:

Specs:

4 GB DDR 2 ram

320 Gb hdd 

TheGreenBeam

manjaro XFCE

Ubuntu and PopOS are options but Lubuntu is good for low-powered machines like this.

space for rent

There is also Lubuntu, but I personally use Fedora and have found it to be pretty smooth.