USB Overcurrent issues with no damaged USB ports

I have got a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard bought in 2015 along with an i5 4690k, overclocked to 4.4 GHz. I primarily use the machine for gaming and some CFD simulations. I was away from home at college, for a few months, and after returning due to the pandemic, when I first switched on my system I was greeted by

"Over Current have been detected on your USB Device, System will shut down in 15 seconds to protect your mainboard"

Subsequently, browsing all forums and watching a few videos, I learnt that it might be a faulty usb device or a faulty port. I disconnected all devices and checked all ports for damage and debris like dust, etc. and still got the same message. I am unable to find any information as to why I have an issue. If you guys have any suggestions apart from changing my motherboard, that'd be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S.: The system worked completely fine before I left in August, 2019 and no issues regarding this. While I was away, no one in my family touched the system, let alone turned it on.

So it does this even when no USB device is plugged in? Not even a mouse or KB? if so try resetting the cmos seems like something got stuck.

Just now, Ohsnaps said:

So it does this even when no USB device is plugged in? Not even a mouse or KB? if so try resetting the cmos seems like something got stuck.

No devices plugged in at all, I have reset the CMOS, also removed the baterry, waited 10 seconds inserted it again, nothing. Even went to the other bios using the dual bios switch and still having the same issue.

4 minutes ago, prady8899 said:

Subsequently, browsing all forums and watching a few videos, I learnt that it might be a faulty usb device or a faulty port. I disconnected all devices and checked all ports for damage and debris like dust, etc. and still got the same message. I am unable to find any information as to why I have an issue. If you guys have any suggestions apart from changing my motherboard, that'd be appreciated.

Inspect every single USB-port to check if the pins inside are all where they should be and not touching each other or the shell. If all pins are fine, then something on your mobo has broken and it's gonna require a multimeter, soldering-iron and some skill at dealing with SMD-components to fix.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, prady8899 said:

No devices plugged in at all, I have reset the CMOS, also removed the baterry, waited 10 seconds inserted it again, nothing. Even went to the other bios using the dual bios switch and still having the same issue.

Did you time the 10 seconds. Do have any family members who could have used a usb killer. It's been known to cause similar issues. Check the back of the motherboard its possible something is getting shorted that's leaving the usb slot. Would you mind taking a picture of the screen that says the error? It could give some insight.

1 hour ago, Ohsnaps said:

Did you time the 10 seconds. Do have any family members who could have used a usb killer. It's been known to cause similar issues. Check the back of the motherboard its possible something is getting shorted that's leaving the usb slot. Would you mind taking a picture of the screen that says the error? It could give some insight.

Yeah timed the 10 seconds, it was around 11/12 s tbh. No one knows about USB killers and they say they have'nt been near the PC at all. 

IMG_8603.JPG

IMG_8604.JPG

IMG_8605.JPG

IMG_8606.JPG

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Inspect every single USB-port to check if the pins inside are all where they should be and not touching each other or the shell. If all pins are fine, then something on your mobo has broken and it's gonna require a multimeter, soldering-iron and some skill at dealing with SMD-components to fix.

I have check all the pins and separated them by a toothpick even if it was touching. You can see the photos I posted, if you want a close up of a particular port let me know

On 6/4/2020 at 5:38 AM, prady8899 said:

I have check all the pins and separated them by a toothpick even if it was touching. You can see the photos I posted, if you want a close up of a particular port let me know

Sorry about the very late reply was trying to fix an error i was having with something that ahh took awhile. Alright the 2nd from the bottom usb port looks a bit sketch but that could be the light. Would you mind taking a very very close picture of that slot? Im starting to think maybe its a corrupted BIOS ( I know its dual which hurts the likelyhood of this being it but still) attempt to update the BIOS. I'm going to look around the web and see if theres anything I can find. LMK whenever you get those thigs.

20 hours ago, Ohsnaps said:

Sorry about the very late reply was trying to fix an error i was having with something that ahh took awhile. Alright the 2nd from the bottom usb port looks a bit sketch but that could be the light. Would you mind taking a very very close picture of that slot? Im starting to think maybe its a corrupted BIOS ( I know its dual which hurts the likelyhood of this being it but still) attempt to update the BIOS. I'm going to look around the web and see if theres anything I can find. LMK whenever you get those thigs.

I do have a new update, it turned on normally, without any issues at all, when it did, I checked both the bios, bith of them are the latest one from msi's website. 

But, while I was browsing some class notes, I got a blue screen, don't remember what code and I get the overcurrent issue again when I turn it on. I think it was just the lighting on that port.

IMG_8628.JPG

IMG_8631.JPG