Good m.2 sdd 1TB Recommendations

FlashBerry

Heyo,

Does anyone have any good 1TB ssd recommendations? I was looking ath the samsung ones but comments said that they are bad with heat, what is my best bet?

10 minutes ago, FlashBerry said:

Heyo,

Does anyone have any good 1TB ssd recommendations? I was looking ath the samsung ones but comments said that they are bad with heat, what is my best bet?

If you’re running it off sata get the cheapest one you can find that has cache and you’ll be fine.  With nvme it’s slightly more complex.  With nvme on Pcie 4.0 there is a “best” option larger than the pcie 3 options.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Im looking to run it on a pcie adapter that will look somthin' like this. imageproxy.jpg.c363ae6a65a5e7fac29ed3232b29b56c.jpg

22 minutes ago, FlashBerry said:

Heyo,

The thing with Samsung drives is that they're the most trusted brand in SSDs, so they tend to get overpriced by retailers.There are SSDs from other brands that are as good on the market.

It also depends on what you're going to use the drive for. If it's an OS drive I'd go for something a bit faster (with DRAM cache ofc), like the SiliconPower drive (the A80 I believe) I have in my PC, or a Sabrent Rocket. If you're running X570 and you have a bit extra to spend, you could also go for a PCIe 4 drive, but right now the benefits of a drive like that are limited for a standard gaming PC.

If it's a Game drive or something like that, I'd go for a cheaper Chinese DRAM-less SSD, like a KingSpec or Kingchuxing. These SSDs aren't OS drive fast, but they're good enough for loading into games in a few seconds (rather than a 30 seconds on a HDD). If you buy from Aliexpress, you'd probably save 20-30% compared to a branded SSD from Amazon.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

4 minutes ago, FlashBerry said:

Im looking to run it on a pcie adapter that will look somthin' like this. imageproxy.jpg.c363ae6a65a5e7fac29ed3232b29b56c.jpg

If you're going to use an adapter like that for a boot drive, you should probably check if your motherboard will boot with an NVME drive like that.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

17 minutes ago, FlashBerry said:

Using an adapter like this, make certain that you get an NVMe drive. This won't support a SATA M.2 drive, only NVMe.

22 minutes ago, FlashBerry said:

That’s a one pcie lane device.  It will be a LOT slower than fast nvme.  I don’t know what the speed difference is between sata6 and pcie3.0x1 but it may be not that great.  Argument for cheapest possible with cache.  The. Cache isn’t about speed it’s about longevity.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s a one pcie lane device.  It will be a LOT slower than fast nvme.  I don’t know what the speed difference is between sata6 and pcie3.0x1 but it may be not that great.  Argument for cheapest possible with cache.  The. Cache isn’t about speed it’s about longevity.

Seems like 4X to me.

PCIe-slots-1.gif

I edit my posts more often than not

10 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Seems like 4X to me.

PCIe-slots-1.gif

Might be.  Looks more like x1. They do look similar though.  It’s possible.  count the pins maybe. x4 slots are rarer than x 4 cards though.   Usually it’s just x1 and x16.  90% of the time it would have to go into a x16 slot which could play hob with a big graphics card. 

19 minutes ago, iBabySlapper said:

If you're going to use an adapter like that for a boot drive, you should probably check if your motherboard will boot with an NVME drive like that.

How can i see if my motherboard is compatible? I've done some googling and most of what I've found is "Put it in and see if it comes up". This won't be a boot drive. It will be a dive for all my videos and some extra games. I've got a 237gb m.2 as my boot. I need to get both a good pcie adapter and an NVME drive (Also a heatsink because it's going under my graphics card )

19 minutes ago, iBabySlapper said:

51 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Might be.  Looks more like x1. They do look similar though.  It’s possible.  count the pins maybe. x4 slots are rarer than x 4 cards though.   Usually it’s just x1 and x16.  90% of the time it would have to go into a x16 slot which could play hob with a big graphics card. 

It's a x4 card, x1 cards are shorter. It also says x4 on the card itself.

44 minutes ago, FlashBerry said:

How can i see if my motherboard is compatible? I've done some googling and most of what I've found is "Put it in and see if it comes up". This won't be a boot drive. It will be a dive for all my videos and some extra games. I've got a 237gb m.2 as my boot. I need to get both a good pcie adapter and an NVME drive (Also a heatsink because it's going under my graphics card )

Then it's fine. I'd probably go for a cheaper DRAM-less SSD in your case to save some money.