Double 8 pin necessary?

Ashhez

I am building a new system right now and have all my parts except my power supply because Newegg decided to screw me over and I’ve been waiting 5 days now for a Corsair rm850x that I paid an additional $30 on for next day shipping. I have a 2080 super and a 3900x on a gigabyte x570 master. The motherboard get enough power to the cpu if I have only one of the 8 pins in the cpu power just until I get my new power supply? I’m stuck with the Corsair cx650m that’s in my old PC.

You will be fine by just plugging in 1 8pin to your cpu.

If i remember correctly only the 3900x or 3950x overclocked with LN2 will actually draw enough power to Need the 2nd 8pin.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Why an 850W..?

You don't need anything more than a single 8-pin unless you're extreme overclocking (LN2, subzero), so yes it will work even with the CXM you've got, but do you really want to run the cables, then take them all out and then have to rerun them when your new PSU arrives?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

16 minutes ago, Ashhez said:

I am building a new system right now and have all my parts except my power supply because Newegg decided to screw me over and I’ve been waiting 5 days now for a Corsair rm850x that I paid an additional $30 on for next day shipping. I have a 2080 super and a 3900x on a gigabyte x570 master. The motherboard get enough power to the cpu if I have only one of the 8 pins in the cpu power just until I get my new power supply? I’m stuck with the Corsair cx650m that’s in my old PC.

Nexus mods did a piece on how PSUs are particularly hard to get right now because they all have to come from China by boat.  You may be waiting more than a few days and there’s literally nothing that can be done.

As for the two power ports on the motherboard for cpu power the second one is not needed at all if you don’t overclock and even then often not needed even if you do.  Some are only useful for exotic cooling overclocks.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.