Touchpad scrolling too fast in some applications

Hello LTT community,

I just bought a Lenovo L340-17IRH laptop. But I've notices that I have some problems with my touchpad. First problem is that it will scroll way too fast in some applications like Discord and Visual Studio Code. This is really annoying. This is not happening in Chrome which is very weird. I've already reinstalled the drivers and installed a windows store application called ETDProperties where I can change some settings like the scrolling speed. If i change the scrolling speed it will work on chrome but not on Discord and VS Code.

The second problem is the 'PalmCheck' feature. This is to use keyboard an mouse at the same time. If you use the keyboard, you can use the mouse in like 1 second. But I want to disable this.

If one of you could help me that would be really appreciated :D

PS: Device manager is reporting my touchpad as `ELAN Pointing Device`

-Appeljuice

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

13 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

I've tried this with the download from your link, didnt work. I got the Lenovo IdeaPad L340. I've downloaded the ELAN drivers from the tutorial. I've downloaded the stock drivers. from here https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-l-series-laptop/l340-17irh-gaming/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Mouse, Pen and Keyboard but that only gives me the driver I had before...

The ThinkPad Yoga 370 drivers I provided can be used on most devices with ELAN drivers. Did you try to follow the instructions with the driver I provided? Running the executable provided with the driver will not work.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

2 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

The ThinkPad Yoga 370 drivers I provided can be used on most devices with ELAN drivers. Did you try to follow the instructions with the driver I provided? Running the executable provided with the driver will not work.

I extracted the files. Installed them trough device manager. Rebooted. But the touchpad did not repspond anymore. I'm an IT'er myself. 

Just now, cuperus said:

I extracted the files. Installed them trough device manager. Rebooted. But the touchpad did not repspond anymore. I'm an IT'er myself. 

Gotcha. You can try out other UltraNav drivers for other laptops, such as https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds540443 or https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds540443, though you may encounter the same issue you had installing the previous driver. Unfortunately, you may very well be stuck with the crappy driver that Lenovo provided.

Desktop

Homelab

1 hour ago, PorkishPig said:

Gotcha. You can try out other UltraNav drivers for other laptops, such as https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds540443 or https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds540443, though you may encounter the same issue you had installing the previous driver. Unfortunately, you may very well be stuck with the crappy driver that Lenovo provided.

I'm gonna try them later. But that pretty much sucks... What is weird in general that it scrolls fast in discord but in chrome it scrolls normal...

48 minutes ago, cuperus said:

I'm gonna try them later. But that pretty much sucks... What is weird in general that it scrolls fast in discord but in chrome it scrolls normal...

I let windows update install the drivers and now it's all good... What the hell...

• 4 months later...

I have the same laptop with that problem, my driver is 22.4.22.2, and I get too fast scroll in vscode, whatsapp app and other apps.

Can you tell me your ELAN driver version???

• 5 months later...

Open regedit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> Elantech -> Smartpad, change ScrollControl_Mode from 0 to 1

There are other settings you can change there, quite stupid that there is no GUI app for this 😕