GPU noise - asus

xepo

i got a new build a few days ago

and i have one problem - the GPU make noises - high pitch noises and i am losing my mind over it

the noises happen even in idle mode

the specs are :

case : Antec® P5 Silent Edition

PSU: Antec® Atom 650W Bronze Certified Silent

MB:Asus Prime B365M A LGA 1151

CPU: Intel® CoreTM i5 ­ 9600KF Up­To 4.6Ghz LGA

cooling over cpu : Enermax ETS­N31­02

ram: Kingston® KVRTM 16GB 1*16 DDR4 2666 Mhz

SSD: XPG Spectrix 512GB S40G 3500MB/s

GPU: Asus Phoenix Gaming GTX1660 Super 6GB DDR6

now i opened the case and listened - and the noise comes from the GPU - now i am not completely sure what makes the noise - i suspect its coil whine

i talked with the seller and he told me i can replace the GPU

the question is that - which GPU to take that have similar performance that wold not make that noise

he suggested asus tuf 1660 but idk....

i tried to lower power to 50% still can hear it when idle

turned v-sync and triple buffer - no change

in the video you can hear the sound it makes - just top your volume

Yes, RMA the card.

It may be the same with the next one.

Coil whine is usually obscured by fan noise, the more silent the rest of the PC, the more you notice coil whine.

I have coil whine on my RX 580 but after a few months I got used to it and don't notice unless I listen specifically for it. It also feels like it has reduced greatly over time but its hard to tell if that is me getting used to it OR it has actually reduced.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Sounds like coil whine to me.  One of the wire wrapped doughnut shaped magnets on the board may have cracked. They do that.  There’s a lot of stress put on them and they’re brittle.  It doesn’t affect performance but it makes noise.   RMAing the card is a good idea if you can.  Whether there is an improvement or not is a die roll.  If you CANT RMA, there are some tricks which sometimes help a little.  They’re not reliable though.  RMA is best if possible.   If not get back to us.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Yes, RMA the card.

It may be the same with the next one.

Coil whine is usually obscured by fan noise, the more silent the rest of the PC, the more you notice coil whine.

I have coil whine on my RX 580 but after a few months I got used to it and don't notice unless I listen specifically for it. It also feels like it has reduced greatly over time but its hard to tell if that is me getting used to it OR it has actually reduced.

this build is super silent, i dont know if its good or bad tho...

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like coil whine to me.  One of the wire wrapped doughnut shaped magnets on the board may have cracked. They do that.  There’s a lot of stress put on them and they’re brittle.  It doesn’t affect performance but it makes noise.   RMAing the card is a good idea if you can.  Whether there is an improvement or not is a die roll.  If you CANT RMA, there are some tricks which sometimes help a little.  They’re not reliable though.  RMA is best if possible.   If not get back to us.

its a week old card, do they crack so fast? its not like i can RMA , i just replace it with a different card and the thing is i need to specify to which card i would like to replace and which manufacture and i need to pay the difference in price of the cards

so i would like your suggestions

5 minutes ago, xepo said:

this build is super silent, i dont know if its good or bad tho...

its a week old card, do they crack so fast? its not like i can RMA , i just replace it with a different card and the thing is i need to specify to which card i would like to replace and which manufacture and i need to pay the difference in price of the cards

so i would like your suggestions

Re: coil whine

coil whine usually happens almost instantly upon the card being powered on.  Sometimes it takes a while. 

re:RMA

RMA is a manufacturer thing you would contact the card manufacturer and have them replace it. It would be the same make and model.  This service is often performed by retailers, but it is fundamentally a manufacturer thing.  It is possible to end run the retailer entirely.  It’s a mail order thing and takes time. Getting an RMA number is generally the first step.  In your case you would be contacting ASUS. 

RE: quiet computer

quiet computing used to be a big big thing.  It became less fashionable lately.  One of those bandaid solutions I was avoiding talking about because RMA is better is a quiet case.  They have baffles and sound insulation to muffle sound.  They tend to have poorer airflow though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Re: coil whine

coil whine usually happens almost instantly upon the card being powered on.  Sometimes it takes a while. 

re:RMA

RMA is a manufacturer thing you would contact the card manufacturer and have them replace it. It would be the same make and model.  This service is often performed by retailers, but it is fundamentally a manufacturer thing.  It is possible to end run the retailer entirely.  It’s a mail order thing and takes time. Getting an RMA number is generally the first step.  In your case you would be contacting ASUS. 

RE: quiet computer

quiet computing used to be a big big thing.  It became less fashionable lately.  One of those bandaid solutions I was avoiding talking about because RMA is better is a quiet case.  They have baffles and sound insulation to muffle sound.  They tend to have poorer airflow though.

the case is quiet - its has damping all over the inside

question is how do i find the info i need for the RMA - i tried using asus site but they are asking who was the retailer that the card was bought from and i dont have that info....

would it be better to just return the card to the seller? and purchasing something different

as i understood from snooping on google - asus will give me nightmares with RMA