Temperatures higher after repaste

A week ago i repasted my laptop, and it was running fine. But now the temperatures are high again, and i have no clue why??

I used thermal grizzly kryonaut for the repaste.

Any clue why it runs hotter after week?

Too much thermal paste, improper contact between CPU die and heatsink, and not enough clamping pressure are some possible causes for high temps. I had this on my MacBook Pro and had to re-paste the computer. Temps went back down to normal and I used WAY too much thermal paste the first time. Use the spread method by spreading the thermal paste on the die starting with a dot in the corner of the die and going down. 

Edited by CommanderAlex
Clarification of text.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just a couple of ideas: 

Are you sure the cooler is screwed in properly? Maybe some of the thermal compound seeped out? Maybe the computer's fan doesn't kick on as much and doesn't cool the computer since the temperatures aren't high enough?

Also, if this is a laptop with a intel core architecture processor you can download the Intel XTU utility and undervolt the CPU to have better thermal performance: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU

Just now, SimonLS said:

Okay
Thank you so much

No problem. A thin spread of thermal paste will do. I've watched videos on this topic of too much thermal paste affecting CPU temps and were found to be negligible according to GamersNexus. My thermal paste seeped out on the sides of the die onto the green chip. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 minutes ago, SimonLS said:

A week ago i repasted my laptop, and it was running fine. But now the temperatures are high again, and i have no clue why??

Probably not enough thermal paste coverage or the cooler wasn't screwed in completely. The worst case scenaio is you damaged a heatpipe (they're EXTREMELY fragile)

By far the most likely is that you didn't screw down the cooler enough. Too much paste isn't really a problem, because it will get pushed away when you screw down the cooler. Many many tests have proven it. Make sure you screw it down in an X pattern too, a few turns at a time.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

17 minutes ago, SimonLS said:

Hmmm.  If the temps were lower right after the re-paste then perhaps some flexing of the laptop since then has loosened the cooler mount a little bit.  I'd open it up and try to see if the cooler can be tightened down a bit more now.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

33 minutes ago, nick name said:

Hmmm.  If the temps were lower right after the re-paste then perhaps some flexing of the laptop since then has loosened the cooler mount a little bit.  I'd open it up and try to see if the cooler can be tightened down a bit more now.  

I have just done that, and nothing was loose. I ran a stress test and same result as before...

2 hours ago, SimonLS said:

I have just done that, and nothing was loose. I ran a stress test and same result as before...

The paste swap may have not made a great difference because of the thermal dynamics of the particular processor you are using even though not a single person here even knows what that is to give you any good direct incite.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The paste swap may have not made a great difference because of the thermal dynamics of the particular processor you are using even though not a single person here even knows what that is to give you any good direct incite.

I have not thought about that. But the wierd thing is that the re-paste worked great the first 5 days, and then went south...

4 minutes ago, SimonLS said:

I have not thought about that. But the wierd thing is that the re-paste worked great the first 5 days, and then went south...

I find that after 24 - 36 hours, I need to check the mounting on my custom setups. They are not spring loaded.

So what happens is the TIM "pushes out" and the mounting pressure becomes less as a result.

Depending how thick I lay the thermal paste is what determines how much pushes out and how much the mount may loosen.

Perhaps you're having the same issue?

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I find that after 24 - 36 hours, I need to check the mounting on my custom setups. They are not spring loaded.

So what happens is the TIM "pushes out" and the mounting pressure becomes less as a result.

Depending how thick I lay the thermal paste is what determines how much pushes out and how much the mount may loosen.

Perhaps you're having the same issue?

I will check it, even though mine are with springs
But thank you for your time