Razer Blade 15 vs MSI GS66 vs Gigabyte Aero 15?

So I need a new laptop, and I have a few requirements. I need a 15", 1080p and 144hz or higher screen, and I want it to be thin and light (no thicker than .75"). As far as hardware, I need a rtx 2080, at least 16 gigs of ram, and either a 10th gen intel processor or one of the new AMD chips. After some research, and finding the best options possible, it's come down to either the Razer Blade 15" 2020, the MSI GS66, or a Gigabyte Aero 15. Razer has the best build quality and looks the best, but I've heard that their cooling can be bad, and so can their customer service, but I've heard mixed opinions on both of those things. I haven't heard too many bad things about the MSI or Gigabytes, but I still can't decide, because the Razer has fantastic build quality. Please help me decide which one to get! Also, it might be worth mentioning that I plan to travel with this laptop, and also dock it to an LG Ultrawide gaming monitor.

@RippugsyNo, it's way to thick. Also don't love the design or keyboard or trackpad. I'm more looking for help deciding between the options I listed above, not other options.

• 2 weeks later...

did you buy your laptop?

i just recently received my MSI GS66 with maxQ RTX2070, 1TB sdd, 16gb ram, I7-10750H.

if you have any questions

i'll assume you havent pulled the trigger yet:

I'll speak about each briefly:

the aero is the worst in terms of price for performance, has the weird webcam placement and a cramped kb thanks to the numpad inclusion, avoid imo

the gs66 is the best price for performance here, has normal webcam and the gamery look is very subdued.... apart from the font, that is hideous and ruins the overall aesthetic, also the plastic merger will mean it is less durable, so travelling you may need to be cautious, we dont know yet

the blade is probably looking like a goldilocks rn, not the best price performance but has a subdued non gamery font but it does have a light up logo, but it has such a nice trackpad, but it is usually plagued with QC issues, but the trackpad is so nice, but it uses a wack proprietary charger, but it has a rugged aluminium unibody....

my point is for every good point about the blade 15, there is at least 1 bad point, I personally have and love my blade 15 but the choice between the gs66 and the blade comes down to: want slightly more ram for the money but lower build and ugly font? go for the gs66, want to risk the QC? get the blade but if you get a good one, it will be a better ish experience than the gs66

IMO Legion 7i > GS66. GS66 is a decent thin and light though

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

@ImNotThere I think I'm going to end up getting a Blade. It just looks so much better, and I'm honestly fine sacrificing a little bit of specs. I know that Razer's quality control and customer service can be dicey, so I'm gonna get mine from Microsoft or Best Buy or Amazon or someplace where I can get a warranty on it. Anyway, thanks for helping me out!

10 hours ago, duranson said:

@ImNotThere I think I'm going to end up getting a Blade. It just looks so much better, and I'm honestly fine sacrificing a little bit of specs. I know that Razer's quality control and customer service can be dicey, so I'm gonna get mine from Microsoft or Best Buy or Amazon or someplace where I can get a warranty on it. Anyway, thanks for helping me out!

No worries, I had the same decision to make as you a few months back, got the razer and haven't looked back, I got the 2019 model with a 2080, hmu if you want a hand tuning it for battery and temps (these are small issues out of the box, it runs quite hot and battery isn't great, just like every thin and light)

14 hours ago, duranson said:

Make sure you shell out for the "advanced" models with the 80Wh battery if you want more than 2 hours off the charger.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

After having the first generation RB 15 Advanced (2018) and the myriad of issues and weird problems BSODs etc. I will never recommend a Razer laptop ever again.

Out of the ones you listed, I'd probably go for the GS66.

Did you think about the Element/Fusion 15/MAG-15/Vapor 15 Pro (basically Intel-TongFang QC7 chassis), if not, have a look (name depends on your region), I've used the XMG Fusion 15 for a while and had zero BSODs or weird issues.