Do I need an amp/DAC for HD 599s?

ddk96

Edit- Recommendations for Fiio were all over the place and this is the only product of theirs I could find available, will this cut it or too underpowered? -https://www.amazon.in/FiiO-BTR1K-Headphone-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B07JM5ZQPF/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-Zmlpbw%3D%3D-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=fiio&dchild=1&keywords=fiio&pd_rd_i=B07JM5ZQPF&pd_rd_r=cb24a42d-ac22-415a-80f8-14974b8ece00&pd_rd_w=DHVDV&pd_rd_wg=HCRLh&pf_rd_p=db70632f-7954-4e73-a9ee-5cfefdeeb068&pf_rd_r=GH391W8X2Y1D0XJVY0RQ&psc=1&qid=1590823396&sr=1-1-fe323411-17bb-433b-b2f8-c44f2e1370d4

Sorry if I sound ignorant, it's because I am. I am getting an HD 599 as my employer is bearing the cost coz of the COVID situation and how we all have to stay at home and attend meetings. 

The 599s were the best choice in my area according to the amount being covered under the policy, recommendations and availability at this time in my area. 

That being said, I am completely unaware if I need an external/Internal DAC or amp. I dont even know what the difference between those two things are and this is after trying to research, lol. 

Will I be able to run them off my motherboard or Front audio for a while and get the amp/ DAC later? 

I have an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

I am not an audiophile(yet) so I don't much know about all the subtle intricacies I could hear in audio. I just need clear audio, and not be disappointed by the volume just coz I am not able to provide enough power to it. I will basically use them for gaming and watching YouTube, Netflix, maybe a movie here and there. 

For now, I just wanna know if I will be able to run them off my current setup, maybe even with a software to boost/enhance audio or not. If yes to software, which one? And if I absolutely had to buy something, recommendations for budget offerings would be highly recommended. I live in India, so many of the options listen in the megathread are not available or are out of stock. 

Last thing, lol. How do I know if the heafphones are not being delivered enough jiuce to run at their peak perfomance?

Thanks in advance, love the forum.

Linus's voice was annoyingly hellish for atleast the first 50 videos that i watched

5 hours ago, ddk96 said:

Edit- Recommendations for Fiio were all over the place and this is the only product of theirs I could find available, will this cut it or too underpowered? -https://www.amazon.in/FiiO-BTR1K-Headphone-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B07JM5ZQPF/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-Zmlpbw%3D%3D-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=fiio&dchild=1&keywords=fiio&pd_rd_i=B07JM5ZQPF&pd_rd_r=cb24a42d-ac22-415a-80f8-14974b8ece00&pd_rd_w=DHVDV&pd_rd_wg=HCRLh&pf_rd_p=db70632f-7954-4e73-a9ee-5cfefdeeb068&pf_rd_r=GH391W8X2Y1D0XJVY0RQ&psc=1&qid=1590823396&sr=1-1-fe323411-17bb-433b-b2f8-c44f2e1370d4

Sorry if I sound ignorant, it's because I am. I am getting an HD 599 as my employer is bearing the cost coz of the COVID situation and how we all have to stay at home and attend meetings. 

The 599s were the best choice in my area according to the amount being covered under the policy, recommendations and availability at this time in my area. 

That being said, I am completely unaware if I need an external/Internal DAC or amp. I dont even know what the difference between those two things are and this is after trying to research, lol. 

Will I be able to run them off my motherboard or Front audio for a while and get the amp/ DAC later? 

I have an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

I am not an audiophile(yet) so I don't much know about all the subtle intricacies I could hear in audio. I just need clear audio, and not be disappointed by the volume just coz I am not able to provide enough power to it. I will basically use them for gaming and watching YouTube, Netflix, maybe a movie here and there. 

For now, I just wanna know if I will be able to run them off my current setup, maybe even with a software to boost/enhance audio or not. If yes to software, which one? And if I absolutely had to buy something, recommendations for budget offerings would be highly recommended. I live in India, so many of the options listen in the megathread are not available or are out of stock. 

Last thing, lol. How do I know if the heafphones are not being delivered enough jiuce to run at their peak perfomance?

Thanks in advance, love the forum.

It could benefit from an external dac or soundcard because the sound chip on your motherboard isn't the greatest.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

5 hours ago, ddk96 said:

Yes, and that's the way to go. If you are not satisfied with the audio quality or maximum volume you can just get an external DAC or audio interface later on.

Need not really but if you motherboard sounds like ass yeah you'll probably need one.