Intel DX58SO with W3680 - won't POST

eggysplat_uk

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, rather strange issue.

Just bought a w3680 from eBay to replace my working e5645. I have an intel DX58SO motherboard on bios version 5600 (which I believe is the latest version).

System won't POST normally. It will wait about 5 seconds, then reboot. Nothing shown on screen at all & no beeps.

Now comes the interesting part. If I power down and re-seat the RAM, then the system will POST, then give me a warning that several POST attempts failed, and ask if I want to go to BIOS settings. I've been to the settings, restored defaults and restarted and end up in the same loop of powering off and on.  If I choose not to go to the bios settings, the system will attempt to restart immediately and start looping again.

On the performance screen of the BIOS, I don't think the "active" settings are correct, not sure if there's some kind of incompatibility between board and CPU (although they're supposed to be fine together). Grabbed a photo from the TV (attached).

IMG-3555.thumb.jpg.4eb10a1fb554afcc44d0e4453662ccc3.jpg

Full details of system.

EVGA 500W CPU

EVGA GTX 960 SSC

RAM (Tried several different combinations) - Currently have a matched pair of 4GB 1600MHZ DDR3 modules

W3680 CPU

DX58SO (Viglen branded) Mobo / BIOS version 5600.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, eggysplat_uk said:

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, rather strange issue.

Just bought a w3680 from eBay to replace my working e5645. I have an intel DX58SO motherboard on bios version 5600 (which I believe is the latest version).

System won't POST normally. It will wait about 5 seconds, then reboot. Nothing shown on screen at all & no beeps.

Now comes the interesting part. If I power down and re-seat the RAM, then the system will POST, then give me a warning that several POST attempts failed, and ask if I want to go to BIOS settings. I've been to the settings, restored defaults and restarted and end up in the same loop of powering off and on.  If I choose not to go to the bios settings, the system will attempt to restart immediately and start looping again.

On the performance screen of the BIOS, I don't think the "active" settings are correct, not sure if there's some kind of incompatibility between board and CPU (although they're supposed to be fine together). Grabbed a photo from the TV (attached).

IMG-3555.thumb.jpg.4eb10a1fb554afcc44d0e4453662ccc3.jpg

Full details of system.

EVGA 500W CPU

EVGA GTX 960 SSC

RAM (Tried several different combinations) - Currently have a matched pair of 4GB 1600MHZ DDR3 modules

W3680 CPU

DX58SO (Viglen branded) Mobo / BIOS version 5600.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I might assume at this point that the CPU is problematic, just plugged the old E5645 back in and it sprang to life straight away. I got the warning about the failed POST attempts, restored factory defaults and it booted straight away.

Either the CPU, or maybe the PSU isn’t powerful enough? Everything I have connected is as the hardware spec above, with a 250GB SSD and a 1TB 2.5” mech drive. Apart from that, just the keyboard, an old Apple jobbie.

• 7 months later...

Hi, First of all, if for some reason something I say does not make sense, I do it with the translator, I have the same problem, I have an x5650 and I change it for a w3680, and the latter does not give a signal when I put it, did you manage to solve the problem? I have doubt if it is the ram since some say that it does not read ECC, but on the intel website it says yes, if you found a solution other than not changing it, I would appreciate your answer